Update manager

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
radian_scope

Update manager

Post by radian_scope »

i have a problem about Update manger
whenever i opened Update manager it does not open just show a view in panel like just open
and it does not work even i tried 2 or 3 times
tell me what is solution of this problem
thanx
Usman Ali
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
viking777

Re: Update manager

Post by viking777 »

Usman, you need to run it from a terminal and then paste any error messages to the forum:

Code: Select all

sudo mintupdate
Is the code (actually I am not sure if it even needs sudo but no harm in using it).
radian_scope

Post by radian_scope »

hey thanks for reply this is what my terminal says

sh: 1: gksudo: not found

but as from terminal it does not give a result regarding my update manager it just shows some other package missing ...,,,,

since i have recently installed linux mint so i havent updated yett due to update manger problem...
terminal doesnt even have sudo apt-get package when i try to sudo pat-get install something it says

E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable) E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

That error you get when you have another package management application open (like Software Manager, Package Manager/Synaptic, or similar). Try closing all open package management applications and then running:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
radian_scope

Post by radian_scope »

Thanks a lot its working

sudo apt-get
dragonslair2013

Re: Update manager not working

Post by dragonslair2013 »

I just installed the latest version of Linux Mint 14 “Nadia” KDE but the update manager is still broken. It shows the shield and indicates updates needed but when you click on it then it asks you for your password but after filling it in then pressing enter it crashes and then disappears. No matter how many times you reload it still hides or disappears. I was following this forum and Sunno posted:Open terminal and type: sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade ( this does apparently the same thing that the update-manager does)..... But keep in mind updating the packages via command line sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade may cause the network connection to drop (my connection is hardwired RJ45 but it still froze the connection). Next the computer will need a hard restart it is unreponsive time suspended and no mouse actions. After the hard restart go enter sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade again in the terminal and it should finally update without dropping the network connection again.

On every change I press Y ( among other things :the update-manager_4.4.4 is then installed)
After this is done, it is displayed that some packages are not installed, there are being hold back. (These packages seem to be essential, because the new update-manager_4.4.4 doesn't work without them.) Open Synaptic Package Manager and click in the left down corner on 'Status' then in the left upper corner 'installed( upgraded)' and install them all. Update Manager 4.4.4. should work now without any problem.

I will say this is correct after upgrading 2 packages in the update manager in the left down corner on 'Status' then in the left upper corner 'installed( upgraded)' and install them then the update manager starts to work again.
This is what worked for me. :idea:

Return to “Software & Applications”