How to set network password

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

How to set network password

Postby subvision on Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:48 am

Hello guys and friends.

I am using linux mint 13 mate 32 bit.

I want to set a network password, so that foreign computers from the internet can't connect to my network environment. This happened once, a few weeks ago. The attacker first connected to my network, then he broke out of the network environment and possibly he gathered root-rights. Then I reinstalled my computer's os.

How can I set a network password that will prevent strangers to connect to my computer without influencing my own internet connectivity.

Sorry for this stupid question, but I haven't found anything in the www while using google.

Thanks in advance,

subvision
subvision
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: How to set network password

Postby viking777 on Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:04 pm

Well forgive me if I am wrong, but is what you are looking for not called a firewall?

Even something as simple as the default ufw is configured to do what you are asking for - by default.

It is already installed so just enable it with

Code: Select all
sudo ufw enable

If that isn't correct and you definitely need a password then I would suggest you connect to your router (usually from your browser) and have a look through the settings in there, you will be able to password protect wireless that way if it hasn't already been done. In my router it is under Wireless Settings>Security Options. Of course if you change or add a password there you will have to give that password to the network manager when you try to reconnect so don't lose or forget it.
Fujitsu Lifebook AH532. Intel i5 processor, 6Gb ram, Intel HD3000 graphics, Intel Audio/wifi. Realtek RTL8111/8168B Ethernet.Lubuntu 13.10,Ubuntu12.10 (Unity), Mint16 (Cinnamon), Manjaro (Xfce).
viking777
Level 14
Level 14

Postby subvision on Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:18 pm

Well, I naively thought, there would be a network password in linux mint, as it is in windows 7 (for example). Now I've learned, that something like this doesn't exists in linux mint. I enabled my firewall and when I check it, it tells me it's active.

WLan is disabled in my router. I have to say, that my router has been hacked a few months ago, so this is why I got the idea with the network password, to make it to an intruder on my system as difficult as possible.

Well, I have to thank you anyway, although I didn't got the answer I expected to get. I hope, the firewall will be strong enough to prevent any damage to my system.

For those interested: I had installed windows 7 in the first place and then I got issues with the TDL (or TDSS) rootkit. Then I comepletely wiped my hd and now I call linux mint 13 my home.
subvision
Level 1
Level 1

Postby viking777 on Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:24 pm

Hey subvision, I never said there was no such thing as a network password, I have never had occasion to set one so I don't know if it is possible or not. I only told you what I know, not what I don't know.
Fujitsu Lifebook AH532. Intel i5 processor, 6Gb ram, Intel HD3000 graphics, Intel Audio/wifi. Realtek RTL8111/8168B Ethernet.Lubuntu 13.10,Ubuntu12.10 (Unity), Mint16 (Cinnamon), Manjaro (Xfce).
viking777
Level 14
Level 14

Postby subvision on Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:21 pm

Sorry, viking777, I got you wrong. I thought there was no possibility to set a network password in linux mint.

So, if somebody could tell me how to do it, it would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

subvision
subvision
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions