The Linux Mint Newsletter - Issue 2

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Hi,

The Linux Mint Newsletter - Issue 2 is out. Happy reading everyone:

http://linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php/Lin ... er_Issue_2

Clem.
Last edited by clem on Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
AlsaPhil

Post by AlsaPhil »

Bravo for this letter #2.
With the new mintartwork, we all have the possibility to give our distro a very unique and original touch. Carlos work is really great :D
A good transition between Bianca and C...a (Carla, Chiara?)
Please Clem, not Cecilia... One Sarkozy is enough :lol: (sorry for this perfidious allusion to French politic :lol:)
JohnH
Level 4
Level 4

Post by JohnH »

Thanks for the newsletter Clem.

Auto update manager loaded the new graphics. VERY good indeed. I also appreciate the consideration given to the auto update idea for Bianca.

Regards
John
kanishka
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kanishka »

As long as the artwork keeps with green, I will be with you :D

Nah, the distro is fantastic, and improves in leaps. Go on!!!

(Seriously, why is everyone in love with blue? :? )
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

why is everyone in love with blue?
cause of the squaddra azzura ? :)
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by npap »

All of the Bianca new wallpapers are very good. A green background though seems to make green folders less visible IMHO.

One more thing, could the Yoga girl be shifted to the right instead?
kanishka
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kanishka »

clem wrote:
why is everyone in love with blue?
cause of the squaddra azzura ? :)
LOL

Then why I'm not? :lol:
kanishka
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kanishka »

|_NiGhTmArE_| wrote:
kanishka wrote:why is everyone in love with blue? :? )
because the blue rests the eyes, the sky is blue, the sea, blue has been considered a primary colour in painting... Blue is the hated color of windows user (blue screen of death)... blue represents authority and so on... :P
What about green then, the colour of nature, relaxing and not Windows-like? I like it much better... :wink:

It's really a nice idea to include two themes in Mint; it's an example of the developers' attention to detail. Thanx Clem! :D
kenetics
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kenetics »

I vote for green. Everyone else is using blue. Vive la différence!
carlos
Level 4
Level 4

Post by carlos »

@Clem, I'm just going to repeat what I said before. You really left me speechless. I'm truly humbled by your kind words. Thanks again, I really appreciate your consideration of the artwork. Please let me know if I can help in any other way.

@npap let me know the screen res and color you would like and I'll make it for you.

Thanks All!
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by npap »

Thanks Carlos,
I really love all of your artwork. Right now I have the green version of Bianca.
I vote for wallpaper.png 1024x768. I prefer olive green. it is very relaxing and
it improves contrast on all desktop icons.
The beautiful apparition ( a French creation? :) plays with ones fantasy and depending on the imagination of one's wife, she may not become too jealous :lol:
Let imagination do the trick. But I wouldn't dare to put my Bianca on my desktop. :lol:
Now if you get the Zen lady on an olive green background as above (with the picture on the right side), we might have something really different. It's my suggestion (1024x768).

How's that for an arts review from an electronics man. :?

BTW the splash screen ( I'm not sure if I'm referring to the right thing- I really don't know the exact terminology), would probably look better if it was a brighter green. and a little larger.
Again, Three cheers for Bianca art :), and Carlos.
carlos
Level 4
Level 4

Post by carlos »

A French apparition, hmmm could be... Like you said its left to the imagination.

You asked so you shall receive at 1024x768

Proper Logo http://www.box.net/public/su7lxj01um#f4806808:42815422

Proposed http://www.box.net/public/su7lxj01um#f4806808:42815422

I also make a 1280x960 version But you can find it at http://www.box.net/public/su7lxj01um

Originally the reference image had it on the right side, I think I switched it cause the logo wasn't fitting well, but with the revisions that other members have asked for, made it work. My personal preference is to have it on the right. Maybe if I have the time I'll output more images.

BTW, excellent review from and electronics man :D .
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by npap »

Thanks Carlos,
I added them to my collection of wallpapers. And I tried, switching back and forth, both the Zen lady and the mystery ' French creation'.
My honest opinion is that Zen is more mysterious, but I settled to the first one: the wallpaper.png . I guess it's the stylish artwork and the amazing ' Linux Mint Bianca' logo.
IMHO Clem should adopt this wallpaper and make it default. I already switched the Bianca green and blue to this gorgeous 'French' apparition. :lol:
But that's only my vote :)

I think it 'rocks' man :lol:
.ee
Level 2
Level 2

Post by .ee »

I am not a wallpapers guy, but I like Min't Bianca desigh. The blue one is a little bit too bright for me, so I keep the natural one (green-yellow-brown).

Note, that under M$windows I just use a black desktop, to avoid any associations. Somehow it helps me to concentrate on what I am doing. Treat it as my antiM$ protest and the degreee to which I liked Mint design, that I haven't replaced it with pure black by default. :)

What a boring guy, you may say! :lol:
glas
Level 2
Level 2

Post by glas »

I have to agree with those that are a bit tired of the dominance of blue in default wallpapers on many linux distros..

My vote goes with green over blue. But I also like brown. Easy on the eyes.

Most importantly it can't be too bright or sore eyes are the result.

But then again, I don't spend that much time staring at wallpapers - i prefer to use the computer!

hwyl!
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by npap »

Deleted
Last edited by npap on Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
JohnH
Level 4
Level 4

Post by JohnH »

npap,

The lady looks like she has gone over to the trash bin to throw some rubbish. Shift the trash bin away, will fix it.javascript:emoticon(':lol:')

Regards
John
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by npap »

Deleted
Last edited by npap on Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by npap »

Hello fellow Minties,
Allow me, please, to make a comment here.
I'm afraid that we may be abusing the purpose of this topic, since it is only intended to inform us only about the latest developments.

May I suggest that we post our comments about our desktop and rigs on
Linux Mint >What are you running at home? .
BTW I'm going to delete my Post Reply here since I have already posted my desktop link in the above topic.
Regards, npap
valent
Level 1
Level 1

Re: The Linux Mint Newsletter - Issue 2

Post by valent »

npap wrote:All of the Bianca new wallpapers are very good. A green background though seems to make green folders less visible IMHO.

One more thing, could the Yoga girl be shifted to the right instead?
@Carlos

I agree that the meditating girl would be better of to the right side, And I would like to see a bit darker green version of the meditating girl wallpapers.

Bianca wallpaper was the first thing my girlfriend changed on the desktop Smile It has too hard lines, the lines should be MUCH subtle! - this is a comment for wallpaper called "Bianca Blue" which is the default one (and the worst of all that are installed). The "Bianca Blue" is not a too bad wallpaper but all others are much better, so I don't get it why is it the default one.

Anyway this is my opinion regarding artwork.

Thanks Carlos for great Mint Linux artwork!

Return to “Releases & Announcements”