File Transfer From Windows

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Will2Kill

File Transfer From Windows

Post by Will2Kill »

I'm trying to transfer a large file, about 5 GB, from a Windows 7 pc to my Linux Mint.
I had tried to do so from both wired and wireless connections, in Linux Mint 14 KDE and MATE(currently running KDE).
In all cases the transfer failed.

It did work in fedora when I briefly tried it and it actually worked, I used Fedora 18 Xfce Spin.
I used fedora's file manager Thunar just in case but it didn't help.

I was thinking maybe there is someway to transfer the files through ftp but I have no idea how to do so.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Orbmiser

Re: File Transfer From Windows

Post by Orbmiser »

Is there some reason you couldn't use a usb key or dvd to do it much faster and simpler?
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

I went through this same issue when I bought my new PC and had to transfer my VBox VM's form one machine to the other. These are huge files and some would go through and some would stall. I have no idea what the issue is here perhaps it's some cache somewhere that needs to be enlarged but I never did figure out what it was.

I ended up doing it with my trusty standby TransferOnLan: http://code.google.com/p/transfer-on-lan/downloads/list

I downloaded the *.tar.gz file and extracted it. You really don't need the windows installer since it's written in java if you don't want to install it on windows. All you need to do is copy the *.jar file to windows and double click it. On the Linux system just double click the *.sh file.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
Will2Kill

Post by Will2Kill »

Orbmiser wrote:Is there some reason you couldn't use a usb key or dvd to do it much faster and simpler?
I have neither, and my linux pc is a netbook without a cd/dvd player.

In any case transfer on lan seems to work, it's just a pain to actually connect a Windows pc to a Linux pc but now that they are connected it seems to go smoothly.

Thanks.
bb333

Post by bb333 »

Linux mint Mate.

Caja/file manager
File -> Connect to Server

You have everything under the sun supported right there. Select windows share, ssh, or ftp. You can find free SSHD and ftpd GUI programs for windows. You can also find free GUI SSH or FTP programs and send the files from windows.

Return to “Beginner Questions”