mint 14 errors in virtualbox

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
indydriver56

mint 14 errors in virtualbox

Post by indydriver56 »

hi
im a mint newbie
been using window's for years but now want to try linux
my buddy reccommended trying mint linux in virtualbox
so i download latest mint 14 and virtualbox
got it working but in the mint desktop page i always get this error.....unable to mount floppy..error mounting /dev/dfo at media/mint/disk
and when i connect a usb stick i get this error......error occurred talking to udisk service
can any body help fix it ?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jungle_boy
Level 7
Level 7

Re: mint 14 errors in virtualbox

Post by jungle_boy »

I recommend you to try Linux Mint 14 using LiveDVD, better than virtualbox.

Burn the iso image in a a good quality media, in ~3x speed.

The first boot will be set to cd-ROM in BIOS.
Samsung Odyssey, Octa-core, i5 9300H, Geforce GTX 1650, 16GB RAM, SSD SAMSUNG NVMe 500GB
LM 21 Cinnamon
indydriver56

Post by indydriver56 »

cheers
ive already done that.....i dont get them errors when i run it of a dvd
but i want to run it virtualbox coz i want to run windows and mint at the same time
jungle_boy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by jungle_boy »

OK.
Samsung Odyssey, Octa-core, i5 9300H, Geforce GTX 1650, 16GB RAM, SSD SAMSUNG NVMe 500GB
LM 21 Cinnamon
indydriver56

Post by indydriver56 »

any body know how to fix it ?
indydriver56

Post by indydriver56 »

have tried ubuntu 12 in virtualbox......works great no errors
must be a problem in mint 14
were can i find help to fix it ?
perduta

Post by perduta »

Just for the record, I installed Linux Mint 14 Nadia 32 bit, Desktop Environment: MATE
No problems on virtualbox with 730 Mbytes of Memory and 8Gb of disk space.
I said it would be a 'Debian' installation when creating the machine - although I have no idea what that does ;)

My shared drives and CD work too, but I had to add my user name to group 'vboxsf' to gain access permissions.

I have not yet had a need to use floppy disks or USB on the virtual machine, so I just plugged in a USB right now and under Virtual box Devices it came up as a USB option.
Windows 7, 64 bit host automatically then installed the Virtualbox USB device driver and came up 'Ready to use'.
Clicking it again in the Virtual box USB menu made it available to my Linux Mint guest system (in the 'computer' folder and I can access it no problem :)

I realize there are a lot of different combinations. Can you describe more acurately what your setup is?
indydriver56

Post by indydriver56 »

im using virtualbox 4.2.6 and mint 14 nadia 32 bits
i set virtualbox to 700 mbytes memory and 8gb diskspace and cd to mint 14 iso
i have'nt installed mint in virtualbox......im trying to use mint on the iso
perduta

Post by perduta »

indydriver56 wrote:...and cd to mint 14 iso
i have'nt installed mint in virtualbox......im trying to use mint on the iso
I tried this and confirm it doesn't understand the virtual floppy disk drive... I don't actually have a floppy disk drive or a floppy disk img file either to try it with. However, my USB seemed to work fine. Maybe it depends on what hardware you actually have and what drivers are preinstalled on the ISO live disk. :?

There is no real reason I can think of to not simply create a new Linux Mint virtual machine and let it set itself up properly on it's own virtual disk drive. It wont' use any more real disk space than what you actual store on it and it will let you run the update manager to automatically get the right drivers and things.
indydriver56

Post by indydriver56 »

cheers perduta
will mint fix the errors in the version 15 ?
perduta

Post by perduta »

indydriver56 wrote:will mint fix the errors in the version 15 ?
I think the live CD will never be able to implement all features on all possible hardware and technology like floppy disks just aren't worth the bother.
The real question is what do you want to do with your virtual Linux box?
indydriver56

Post by indydriver56 »

perduta wrote:I think the live CD will never be able to implement all features on all possible hardware and technology like floppy disks just aren't worth the bother
dont know why get the error coz my pc dont even have a floppy disk
why dont i get the error when i use ubuntu 12 ? my buddy told me mint is made from ubuntu
perduta wrote:The real question is what do you want to do with your virtual Linux box?
im using virtualbox to tryout linux's
bb333

Post by bb333 »

indydriver56 wrote:hi
im a mint newbie
been using window's for years but now want to try linux
my buddy reccommended trying mint linux in virtualbox
so i download latest mint 14 and virtualbox
got it working but in the mint desktop page i always get this error.....unable to mount floppy..error mounting /dev/dfo at media/mint/disk
and when i connect a usb stick i get this error......error occurred talking to udisk service
can any body help fix it ?
For future reference when using virtual machines. State the host and guest clearly.

For your situation:
Virtualbox
Host: Windows
Guest: Linux Mint 14
Ignore the floppy drive error. You most likely don't have one. Disable it in the settings.

For the USB error, go into the Settings -> USB. Can you add usb filters or is everything grayed out? You may have to install the extention pack from the virtualbox website for usb support. There could also be permission issues with your windows machine. Try running virtualbox as Administrator in windows.
perduta

Post by perduta »

indydriver56 wrote:
perduta wrote:The real question is what do you want to do with your virtual Linux box?
im using virtualbox to tryout linux's
Yes... but you can try it from the live CD without a virtual machine :)

You see a virtual box is not going to perform as well as your real machine, so a lot depends what you kind of stuff you want to do.
Like most recently I created a virtual Linux machine specifically for running the Libre office suite.
Said virtual machine has access to my main Windows data drive. This way I don't need to install any office software on my Windows host operating system.
OTOH if you want to see how games or media editing software performs then you will probably find the virtualized graphics capabilities are just not useable.
Another reason for using a virtual Linux box might be as a safe 'sand box' for internet access:
if it ever does get infected you simply restore it to a known good snapshot!
Not only that, but most modern FUD spyware deletes itself the moment it realizes it's in a virtual environment :twisted:
indydriver56

Post by indydriver56 »

bb333 wrote:Ignore the floppy drive error. You most likely don't have one. Disable it in the settings
my virtualbox setting say's floppy is not mounted
bb333 wrote:For the USB error, go into the Settings -> USB. Can you add usb filters or is everything grayed out? You may have to install the extention pack from the virtualbox website for usb support. There could also be permission issues with your windows machine. Try running virtualbox as Administrator in windows.
cant find settings usb
indydriver56

Post by indydriver56 »

perduta wrote:Yes... but you can try it from the live CD without a virtual machine :)
but i want to run windows at the same time coz i use skype and play games......
perduta

Post by perduta »

indydriver56 wrote:
perduta wrote:Yes... but you can try it from the live CD without a virtual machine :)
but i want to run windows at the same time coz i use skype and play games......
All the more reason to install it on it's own virtual drive and let it get the drivers and updates it needs and install the packages you want to use... which is why it makes a big difference what you want to use it for.

For instance in Windows 8, when I click on a .torrent file, or a .ods file or a .tar.gz archive and many others... it doesn't know how to open it and it finds some sites on the web where I can go buy 3rd party software that does... however I can also just use the ready configured free tools of Linux Mint. All I need is to set it up properly to have shared folder(s) with the host machine. In fact I have a Linux box specifically for surfing the web because it can sand box any dodgy sites and even if it did get infected... then I can use the virtualbox snapshot facility to restore it to it's known good state, and I've never heard of Linux malware infecting a Windows host!
So on that virtual machine I have NO windows emulator installed.

I have a different Linux box set up for running the LibreOffice tool set so I don't have to install it on my Windows and yet another just for programming tools so I can build free software and don't need all 'build-essential' equivalent for Windows and so it's really only limited by your own imagination (and by the amount of physical memory that your computer has) for what you can do with it ;)

BTW... just a warning: if you upgrade to WIndows8 make sure you get the 64 bit version because if you are running Virtual boxes a lot you will very soon need to go beyond that the 4Gb physical memory limit of the 32 bit version and you can't upgrade windows8 from 32 bit to 64 bit... without paying for a new one and having to set up all your software again from scratch!
bb333

Post by bb333 »

indydriver56 wrote:
bb333 wrote:Ignore the floppy drive error. You most likely don't have one. Disable it in the settings
my virtualbox setting say's floppy is not mounted
bb333 wrote:For the USB error, go into the Settings -> USB. Can you add usb filters or is everything grayed out? You may have to install the extention pack from the virtualbox website for usb support. There could also be permission issues with your windows machine. Try running virtualbox as Administrator in windows.
cant find settings usb
After making a virtual machine. Click the giant gear icon labeled "settings." There's a USB submenu right inside that.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/virtualbox-usb.html
chuckelmondo

Post by chuckelmondo »

I Got the same errors but this lame ass thread is no help, are there any experts here that can solve the issues ?
Thanx in advance
cecar
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cecar »

chuckelmondo wrote:I Got the same errors but this lame ass thread is no help, are there any experts here that can solve the issues ?
Thanx in advance
I hope noone will help you because your attitude stinks!

Return to “Beginner Questions”