state of ISO for download

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

state of ISO for download

Postby SaintDanBert on Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:25 pm

How do I know if the ISO I have is older or different from the one available for download.
OKAY?! I know I would find different md5sums, but I'm more interested in content differences that bit level differences.

I've looked on the download page for something that says, "... these ISO files created XYZ ..." or similar.
Have I missed something obvious?

Thanks in advance,
~~~ 0;-/ Dan
All government spending, regardless of the motives, uses YOUR money!
Any government extensive enough to give you anything that you want is also
powerful enough to take everything that you have.
SaintDanBert
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: state of ISO for download

Postby cwsnyder on Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:00 pm

Yes, you have missed something obvious to most people. The .iso file name includes either a date or version number. If that date or version number is identical to the one on the file you have, then the MD5SUMs should match and should be identical files.
LMDE Mate 64-bit, LM16 Mate 64-bit
Debian Xfce 64-bit, Xubuntu 13.10 64-bit, Xubuntu Trusty Tahr 64-bit, Antergos Xfce 64-bit, PCLinuxOS LXDE 64-bit
cwsnyder
Level 6
Level 6

Postby SaintDanBert on Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:20 pm

cwsnyder wrote:Yes, you have missed something obvious to most people. The .iso file name includes either a date or version number. If that date or version number is identical to the one on the file you have, then the MD5SUMs should match and should be identical files.

(blushing) Boy am I embarrassed !!! I completely overlooked that obvious detail.

By way of follow-up, I got the Cinnamon edition that says "14.1" and the KDE edition
that says "14". There is not "build date" for the ISO. I would hope that each ISO has
a "manifest" or other as-built list of contents. I know that each distribution has such
a manifest of packages, but I don't find where that is updated as the ISO evolves.

Thanks in advance,
~~~ 0;-Dan
All government spending, regardless of the motives, uses YOUR money!
Any government extensive enough to give you anything that you want is also
powerful enough to take everything that you have.
SaintDanBert
Level 3
Level 3

Postby cwsnyder on Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:05 pm

Look on the site for the KDE build for the latest version. Cinnamon changed, so the point version change. KDE has not changed, nor has the base Mint changed.

Version dates are usually posted in the Mint blog.

When you install even the very latest .ISO file, you will probably have to update some files to get their latest unless you get an .ISO file immediately after a release. .ISO files are not updated every time a package in the file is updated. Take a look at Debian, they are only at version 6.06 for the stable branch, even though Squeeze was released February 6, 2011. 6.06 was released on September 29, 2012, 4 months ago. Even Ubuntu 12.04 is at 12.04.1, but released last August, that .ISO file would require updates to be installed either during or soon after installation.

If you want an .ISO file with all of the latest updates, look into generating a remastersys file ( http://remastersys.com/ ) which can also contain any personalization which you have done to your installation.
LMDE Mate 64-bit, LM16 Mate 64-bit
Debian Xfce 64-bit, Xubuntu 13.10 64-bit, Xubuntu Trusty Tahr 64-bit, Antergos Xfce 64-bit, PCLinuxOS LXDE 64-bit
cwsnyder
Level 6
Level 6

Return to Installation & Boot