RAID1 works in Linux, but not in Win7(anymore)

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
floP

RAID1 works in Linux, but not in Win7(anymore)

Post by floP »

Hi Guys,

it's my first post in this forum, but I've been here for quite some time getting help to install Linux.
Had a couple of problems with the bootloader and the nvidia driver in the beginning but thanks to this awesome place of knowledge I found a way through it. So with all your tips/tutorials I managed to get a working Dual-Boot Linux/Windows PC,yeey! :mrgreen:

But there is one problem left and I can't find a post that fits to it...
Maybe it's easier to first post my setup:

1x SSD splitted, one Partition Linux, the other Windows
2x HDD running in RAID1 with Data accessible from both systems (NTFS)

The Raid system works perfectly in Linux. I have one HDD with my OS and another with my Data.
But when I'm booting to Windows i got two drives with the exactly mirrored.
If I copy a file in Linux to the HDD and later boot Windows, I see the change happened to both HDD.
But in Windows I only have access to the hard drives separately.

Has anyone an idea how to fix this?
Thanks in advance!

P.S.: I hope this still was a newbie question.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
zelmani

Re: RAID1 works in Linux, but not in Win7(anymore)

Post by zelmani »

I think what might help is to setup the array using dmraid. Just google for dmraid and see if this helps you through.

P.S: The link I originally posted here dealt with dual booting from a fakeraid which doesn't really match your situation.
floP

Post by floP »

Hi Zelmani,

thx for your super fast answer. Sorry that i didn't reply immediately but i was a kind a swamped.
I take a look at DMRAID, thx for the tip.

What I'm still wondering about is, why the Raid recognition in Win got lost.
I mean, before I splitted the SSD it worked fine in windows. The Raid was properly mirroring all my data and only one drive was displayed.
I just wanna understand why windows is acting weird while Linux is working with the Hardware Raid.

Can dmraid fix the windows recognition problems? :oops:
Thx in advance
zelmani

Post by zelmani »

If it's a true hardware raid you might have not the appropriate windows driver for your card. If it's a fakeraid with a mobo-controller, you have to configure it correctly in bios and then use dmraid so that linux can handle it. Windows usually should be able to handle fakeraids without separate drivers.

Return to “Beginner Questions”