Mint 14 Cinnamon randomly reverts to default Gnome Icons ??

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
psyire

Mint 14 Cinnamon randomly reverts to default Gnome Icons ??

Post by psyire »

Hello,

I'm new to linux mint and am really liking the Cinnamon interface. There seems to be a glaring issue though.. it keeps reverting to Gnome default theme and icons at seemingly random times. Once it reverts to these default icons/theme I can't change any of the themes using the theme section of the cinnamon settings interface, it simply does not respond. With a system reboot it will return to normal but I find this rather frustrating. I also tried just restarting cinnamon using the 'run' r command and it restarts but keeps the default icons. Any idea's as to what could be going on? I'm using an nvidia card with the nvidia driver selected in System/Additional Drivers. (Linux Mint 14 -Cinnamon Ed.) Any help on how to troubleshoot this issue would be great.

Thanks, Craig.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
psyire

Re: Mint 14 Cinnamon randomly reverts to default Gnome Icons

Post by psyire »

Still researching this one but I found someone else that was having the exact same issue but didn't post a solution...

re: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 7&p=641766
psyire

Post by psyire »

I've also found that it tends to happen after using the 'x' button to close an application. Strange.. I've now tried using a different nvidia driver (304.51) to see if it's a driver related issue or not..
psyire

Post by psyire »

Nope.. still happening with nvidia driver 304.51
psyire

Post by psyire »

Further Digging....

Seems like it could be a problem with gnome-settings-daemon. After the icons have reverted then the G-S-D dumps line after line of code to .xsession-errors :

(gnome-settings-daemon:20115): libappinidcator-Critical **: app_indicator_set_label: assertion 'IS_APP_IDICATOR (self)' failed.

It dumps this line over and over and the .xessions-errors file will get to GB+ in size with no end in sight.

This one is getting way over my head... can anybody point me in a direction to anybody who may know what all this means?
usbtux

Post by usbtux »

Check Image - usually something has changed (for some reason) but you can change them back and should stick and a restart usually sorted mine out.
Hawkeye_52

Post by Hawkeye_52 »

Psyire,

I have had trouble with this reversion problem in the past, and found that often it had to do with the permissions of the files and/or folders for the alternative theme or icon set that I had selected. Aurora based themes are particularly susceptible to this problem -- I have no idea why.

If you haven't yet corrected the problem, you may want to investigate this.

Hawkeye_52
psyire

Post by psyire »

usbtux wrote:Usually something has changed (for some reason) but you can change them back and should stick and a restart usually sorted mine out.
Yeah that wasn't working at all. I had to log out and back in to restore settings. (or restart) Once G-S-D started dumping to the xsessions-errors file then no 'theme' selection tools would do anything..
psyire

Post by psyire »

Hawkeye_52 wrote:Psyire,

I have had trouble with this reversion problem in the past, and found that often it had to do with the permissions of the files and/or folders for the alternative theme or icon set that I had selected. Aurora based themes are particularly susceptible to this problem -- I have no idea why.

If you haven't yet corrected the problem, you may want to investigate this.

Hawkeye_52

Thanks for the helpful idea. Fortunately though I think I solved it, sort of.. After getting the libindicator error in the xessions-errors file I did tried something. Opened up Synaptic Package Manger and searched libindicator. I then installed every package that popped up (roughly 7 that weren't already installed) and the problem has appeared to disappear, lol. I'll continue to monitor and update this thread if something changes. So far so good! Very happy! Now to get back to setting up my media server...

Return to “Cinnamon”