Failed to boot system.

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
happyminty

Failed to boot system.

Post by happyminty »

Hello.

After some manipulations with packages and software ( nothing special, just few repos and standard applications form the official "shop" ) after computer restart my system Failed to boot.

When i am booting my PC everything is going fine till Linux MInt initializing logo appears for few seconds and then it getting replaced by black screen with _ symbol and nothing happens afterwards.

I have successfully booted Linux MInt using my boot hdd-flash. I can see my root and user directories with my files.

Help me please, i really dont want to reinstall whole system, im sure nothing serious happened, i just need few tips on how to restore my system functionality.

Should i provide some system logs? If so, tell me how please.

Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
grimdestripador
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Failed to boot system.

Post by grimdestripador »

I once read...
If you have more than one OS installed, re-detect OSes like so:
sudo update-grub
Just in...
A fairy told me that he secretly ran this command while applying your updates. Sometimes the detection of this command forgets that root=hd0,0 is really /dev/sda1.

To fix this, you can...
1) Reinstall
OR
2) Boot from live CD, and mount your harddisk. Browse for the folder /media/YOURHD/boot/grub and post the contents of grub.cfg
happyminty

Post by happyminty »

*Deleted*
Last edited by happyminty on Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
happyminty

Post by happyminty »

Help anyone? Any ideas?

Im about to wipe my HDD and reinstall the whole system.
happyminty

Post by happyminty »

Well i searched on the web.

Now im almost sure the problem is hiding behind my video adapter. Screen appears when booting the system is totally black from now. But it is still sensitive for ctr alt del reboot, so the system is must be functioning.

I changed the parameters in etc/default/grub radeon.modeset=0 to avoid using my Radeon 6990 while booting system.

Even the screen resolution changed while booting from 1920 x 1200 to 1024 x 768 im still getting blank black screen.

Any ideas guys?
grimdestripador
Level 6
Level 6

Perhaps a more descriptive story about what happends during boot.
happyminty

Post by happyminty »

Blank black screen appears, nothing else, also one time i noticed X.Org driver failure message during boot, which also offered me to check the error reports.
happyminty

Post by happyminty »

Ok an update to my Error is coming up.

After some digging in logs i ended up with the following error:

/usr/lib/X: symbol lookup error:
/usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/fglrx_drv.so: undefined symbol:
GlxInitVisuals2D

(Typyng it by hand from my MacBook)

This happened after i used sudo apt-get upgrade command to update my desktop. Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon Edition. 64 Bit.

So, i fould a solution saying that i have to reinstall my Radeon drivers, but im not sure how to do it by using live USB?

Please help :)
happyminty

Post by happyminty »

Update.

Ok, after some tweaking i managed to load my desktop using the following procedure during Live-USB boot:

sudo apt-get purge fglrx*
sudo apt-get purge $(dpkg -l | awk '/^rc/ { print $2 }')
sudo rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf
sudo apt-get install --reinstall xserver-xorg-core libgl1-mesa-glx:i386 libgl1-mesa-dri:i386 libgl1-mesa-glx:amd64 libgl1-mesa-dri:amd64
sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
sudo reboot

The only problem now is that my desktop is totally empty, my wallpaper is at its place but all folders and sidebars are gone.
grimdestripador
Level 6
Level 6

I lack the ATI hardware to test.
viking777

Post by viking777 »

I lack the ATI hardware to test.
Same here.

You could try this:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... xi#p497881

(I know that is about Nvidia but it is supposed to work with Ati as well although I can't guarantee it as I have never owned one of their cards).

Return to “Installation & Boot”