Dolphin as default file manager?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
urbanspirit

Dolphin as default file manager?

Post by urbanspirit »

I was trying to put Dolhpin as default file manager in Linux Mint 15 Cinnamon, since I like it more then Nautilus or Nemo. How can I do that?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
viking777

Re: Dolphin as default file manager?

Post by viking777 »

Try editing /etc/gnome/defaults. Open the file, search for 'nemo' and where it occurs (only once in my copy) either replace it or better still in front of it put

Code: Select all

dolphin.desktop;
Make sure dolphin.desktop exists in /usr/share/applications first though.
urbanspirit

Post by urbanspirit »

Thanks Viking, I will try that when I get back to linux.

Currently, I am regenerating all sectors all huge druve with hdd regenerator in windows couse I couldn`t make it work in linux and some of softwares found a lot of bad sectors and some of them reported hdd as fine, so... It is going to be a painfully long time until it will finish. I trust hdd regenerator the most and I let it run not with mode of scan and fix but with regenerate all on blank disk.
urbanspirit

Post by urbanspirit »

I just ckecked the Dolphine application is on location /usr/share/applications/kde4/
Should I move it to up folder or it can stay there?
viking777

Post by viking777 »

I think it should be alright where it is. I must warn you though that I had Dolphin as the default file manager a year or so ago, and it was never 100% successful despite my best efforts. I use spacefm now and that is 100% successful (and even better than dolphin to my eyes :) although it is the hardest file manager I have ever had to configure - hundreds of options, some of which are quite complex)
urbanspirit

Post by urbanspirit »

Oh, thanks for advice, I will surely take a look at it.

May I ask you something beside this topic or I will need to put a new topic on forum? I have seen that there is an option to uninstall apps directly from cinnamon menu via right click from list of apps but all I get on the right click is add to palnel, add to fav... How can I uninstall apps from the menu directly instead of running application manager? I think that way it would be much easier and not to look for a...oh how was the name of the app and stuff, lol
viking777

Post by viking777 »

If there is a way to do it I have never seen it.

There is 'Remove from Panel' and 'Remove from Favourites' but they only remove items from the menu or panel they don't uninstall them.

BTW if you do decide to try spacefm you need to do 2 things. You must read the user manual that comes with it (from the 'help' menu), if you don't you wont understand its capabilities and you should also install the program 'udevil' at the same time which is what gives it so much of its power (it is in the package manager).

I remember having an exchange with another dolphin user about spacefm and he tried it and decided it didn't offer what he wanted and went back to dolphin. So don't be swayed by my enthusiasm for it, it may not suit you.
urbanspirit

Post by urbanspirit »

I guess you are right. Im just very fresh on linux platform and recently by searching and exploring stuff on the internet I probably misunderstood some sequence of a sentence, somewhere. Oh well, that would be a killer option and I don`t think that it would be so impossible to implement even though I am no code writer or a programmer, I just assume.

I found spacefm and install it. I must say that it seems better then dolphin I will surely spend some time using it to see if its comfortable for me. As far, dolphin i like just for some things and not for some other things, but spacefm seems to have both stuff I like. Its intuitive, looking good and it has bookmarks as I need them very much.

Thanks, Hogar the Viking. You helped me a lot already, I am still learning and when your new to the huge and completely new things informations without directions can be very overwhelming and frustrating sometimes. I already had to reinstall mint I think 3 times, I like to explore and try but sometimes it has its own price but I learn the best on my own mistakes :)
viking777

Post by viking777 »

OK my friend, as it is a quiet morning on the forum I will, if you don't mind, give you one more thing to try out:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/qt4-fsa ... nd%20Maya/
http://sourceforge.net/projects/qt4-fsa ... 0language/

The first link is an installable .deb package which is only of use to you if you have more than one linux distro installed. The second link is a live cd which can be used if you only have one distro.

This program is like a seat belt in a car or a life boat on a liner. If you are prepared to use it, it saves your life over and over again. If you had used this program once early on then you would not have had to install Mint 3x by now. It allows you to roll back linux and undo your mistakes with zero knowledge. It is also a very simple to understand gui program. Unlike spacefm it doesn't have a lot of documentation, but it is pretty easy to work out.
urbanspirit

Post by urbanspirit »

I installed it but it is not appearing in mint menu like I noticed happened with some other apps as well.
viking777

Post by viking777 »

Not sure what you are talking about here, what have you installed that doesn't show up, spacefm or qt4-fsarchiver?

As I said there is no point in installing qt4-fsarchiver if you only have one Linux operating system. If that is the case you need the live cd.

Do you have two linux operating systems?

If you want to run qt4-fsarchiver just to look at it then do so from the terminal, just type

Code: Select all

qt4-fsarchiver
But it is of very little use if Mint is your only OS.
urbanspirit

Post by urbanspirit »

Damn. That was weird, cuz when I clicked on the first link it downloaded udevil file which I already had installed and that was what I was talking about but now I tried it again and it downloaded the correct file.
Well, I have installed Linux Mint 14 Nadia Cinnamon desktop, but I also have some other called sessions when I am login but I am not quite sure if for some reason default login fails or something that maybe I could use some other to get into the system and pull the restore utility. Anyways, I was looking for such a thing and I really appreciate advice, in windows I was addicted to Norton Ghost and this seems to be tha same stuff, thanks a lot :O)

Return to “Software & Applications”