Mint 14 Mate in Virtual Box under Mint 14 Cinnamon Problems

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
capngp

Mint 14 Mate in Virtual Box under Mint 14 Cinnamon Problems

Post by capngp »

Running Mint 14 Cinnamon. I wanted to give Mint 14 Mate a try in virtual box.
Virtual box is already successfully running XP and Dos 7.1 under Cinnamon.

My Mint 14 Mate iso download is one of those "drive it before you install it"
affairs with a live OS & desktop icon to handle the whole install procedure.

This, unfortunately, confuses the virtual box installer; it wants a bootable install
CD to work from, not a live OS, and the whole affair just hangs for me.

Has anyone done this, and if so, how?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Mint 14 Mate in Virtual Box under Mint 14 Cinnamon Probl

Post by xenopeek »

Yes, daily I run most Linux Mint versions and editions in VirtualBox on Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon. Without any effort or trouble.

- Which VirtualBox version do you have? You should have 4.1.18.
- Where have you downloaded Linux Mint 14 from? I hope through a mirror or torrent from the official website: http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php
- I have no clue what the "virtual box installer" is. You just create a new virtual machine, change its settings to set display to 128 MB and enable 3D acceleration, and set network to bridged adapter. Then you start it, and it asks you for a boot medium. You select the downloaded ISO and it should boot.
capngp

Post by capngp »

Xenopeek,
Thank you for replying to me. I am running Vbox 4.1.18_ubuntu on Mint 14 Cinnamon.
I got Mint 14 from the Mint website using Mint 11, the opening splash screen lists the
contacts, forums, etc. I also downloaded a copy via bit torrent, but the MD5 checksums
match, so I believe I have 2 authentic copies of Mint 14.

I may not be using exact terminology, let me explain. I set up all the parameters for
Mint 14 Mate in Vbox, no problem. I select & start Mint 14 Mate from the Vbox window.
The "First time to run" wizard comes up and Vbox asks me to insert the bootable medium.
I give it my DVD, Vbox displays the name "Mint" in a window, it spins the DVD drive up and
starts accessing the DVD. Then it stops. HD accesses greatly fall off and DVD drive accesses
stop. After a time the DVD drive spins down. The Vbox window never changes.

If I boot the entire machine from the DVD, Mint 14 Mate boots up just fine (it does take
it awhile of course) and runs in ram. I don't want to install from here, it will overwrite
my Mint 14 Cinnamon installation. The next step logically in my Vbox install would be the
Mint name with the 5 progress dots under it to indicate Linux is being set up in ram in Vbox.
I never get there. My machine is hung up. I can abort out of the Vbox install with no problem,
everything else is still running normally, but I can't get Mint to install in Vbox. Oh, I tried
installing from both DVD and the .iso image on my hard drive, no difference.

I believe that Vbox is looking for an installer on the DVD to take the resources I have set
aside and use them to install Mint 14 Mate. I don't think Vbox is looking for a "run-in-memory"
Mint 14 startup. But I guess I really don't know.

I told Vbox to give Mint 14 a Gig of ram, should be enough to run Mint in, no? I bumped it
up to 1.4 Gig, but no effect. I didn't think it would help, but I had to try.

So that is where I stand. If you remember, how did you perform your Mint 14 install ? Did it run
in Vbox and you selected the "install" icon on the desktop to put Mint onto the Vbox assigned
disk? Or did you do it some other way?

Thanks
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

First, I never use DVDs anymore so I'm not sure as to what the problem there might be. I only use .iso files in VirtualBox. When I plan to install Linux Mint, when I create the new virtual machine I tell it to create a 8 GiB dynamically resized hard disk image for me. Then I do the above (though skip the display part, that's not needed for MATE) and start the virtual machine. I usually give virtual machines 2 GiB RAM, but yes 1 GiB RAM should also work. The first run wizard comes up, and I select the .iso file I want to boot. It boots. Then I start the installer, and installation goes fine.

I'm not sure what could be causing your problems.
trvyoung

Post by trvyoung »

You have to enable PAE/NX in the system/processor tab. I had the same issue until I enabled this.

http://linuxmint.com/rel_nadia.php

Return to “Software & Applications”