Shared drive text file edit fails

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
perduta

Shared drive text file edit fails

Post by perduta »

I'm using a virtualbox running Linux Mint 14 Nardia, 32 bit as a self contained development environment to work of files shared on an NTFS shared drive from a dual boot Windows7/LinuxMint host system.

On the guest (Linux Mint) I can open and edit the text files with pluma (and also with gedit), but both refuse to save the edited version, saying unable to rename temporary file as it is busy... which it isn't AFIK.

What I can do is save it under a new name. Exit the editor and then delete the old one and rename the new one manually... but it's a bit inconvenient doing it that way. :?

Has anyone else seen this problem and even better if they found a solution to eleminate the manual renaming steps?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
perduta

Re: Shared drive text file edit fails

Post by perduta »

perduta wrote:On the guest (Linux Mint) I can open and edit the text files with pluma (and also with gedit), but both refuse to save the edited version...
Just for the record: The text editor a.k.a. 'MousePad' that comes with LMDE edition works fine on files in virtual box shared folder... If you need to edit text files in the shared folder from virtual box install mousepad instead of pluma.
basos

Post by basos »

I encountered the same problem. Until now no solution.
Another text editor, that does not have the same problem, with more capabilities is scite.
mcone

Post by mcone »

Same trouble here.

Win7(Host) running VirtualBox 4.2.16
Linux Mint 14 Nadia Kernel 3.5.0-17-generic(i686) (Guest)

Guest applications Geany(1.22), Pluma(1.4.0), and Gedit (2.30.4) cannot save to existing file.
Must create new file for each save on the Vbox shared folder. Other local(guest) folders work fine.

Did not start until Virtualbox updated to 4.2.16 no problems with setup before that.

Attempting to save an existing file with modifications results in files with names like (.goutputstream-0ZD71W) etc. and warnings that the file may have been truncated.

Two solutions I have found so far are:
1.) save-as a new file name each time I make a change. (terrible)
2.) open a terminal session in that folder and use nano or vi to edit text file. (no problems)

So it seems that the drive "mount" for the shared folder is ok as nano can edit files, but the "gui apps" have an issue.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

@perduta

It was my 5th or 6th post to this forum back in 2009 which I described the same phenomenon although I was accessing the shared folder through Samba and not VBox "shared folders": http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&p=130578&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

There were a number of bug reports submitted over this issue at the time at both Ubuntu and Gnome. They tried to blame Samba for this which was ridiculous since another text editor had no such issues - my workaround at the time was to use leafpad.

The one thing that many people reported as the "solution" was to make sure "Create a backup copy of files before saving" was disabled in gedit. This didn't work for me but may work for you. In any event the bug reports all reported that this was fixed and fixed years ago and at the moment I can't reproduce your problem on my VBox setup - although mine is a Mint guest on a Xubuntu host accessing a Windows NTFS Vbox shared folder.

EDIT: Just realized the original post was from Jan of this year. The user has most likely moved on ..... I need to read the dates on these things :(
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

Return to “Software & Applications”