[Moved]: No network devices available

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
leviticus8908

[Moved]: No network devices available

Post by leviticus8908 »

I'm not even sure how to begin to solve this one. I'm running a Linux Mint 13 MATE (64-bit). My computer shut down suddenly [battery was dead perhaps?] and when I restarted it, I get a message saying "no network devices available." I cannot seem to get my computer to detect any networks at all.

Also it seems that the sound is not working -- but this is a secondary issue right now.

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SiKing
Level 5
Level 5

Re: No network devices available

Post by SiKing »

Right click on the network manager and make sure Enable Networking is checked. Same for Wireless Networking.
Whenever my lappy crashes, for some reason Networking comes back as turned off.
leviticus8908

Post by leviticus8908 »

SiKing wrote:Right click on the network manager and make sure Enable Networking is checked. Same for Wireless Networking.
Whenever my lappy crashes, for some reason Networking comes back as turned off.
Yep, I tried that. Still not picking anything up.
leviticus8908

Post by leviticus8908 »

Well, I backed up my files and software and reinstalled Linux Mint and everything worked fine again -- for about a day and a half. My computer suddenly turned off again (this time I know it wasn't the battery going dead) and when I turned it on again there were no wireless networks available and no sound. Under "Sound Preferences > Output" it says "Dummy Output" which I am pretty sure is not my normal sound card. Has anyone had a problem like this before? Any suggestions would be appreciated. A bit of info:

Linux Mint 13, 64-bit
MATE edition
Dell Inspiron 1525

Perhaps I should post this in a different category, but I'm also a "newbie" so I need instructions at a newbie level.
leviticus8908

Post by leviticus8908 »

I realize I put this question in the wrong category, so I am heading over to the "Networks > Wireless" topic.

Return to “Beginner Questions”