<resolved> safe removal of usb drive

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cj123

<resolved> safe removal of usb drive

Post by cj123 »

When I unmount an external hard drive it keeps spinning and the power indicator light stays on. This makes me nervous. It's safe to unplug it as long as its unmounted, right?

using mint 14 xfce
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
passerby

Re: safe removal of usb drive

Post by passerby »

If it's unmounted, no writing operations are taking place. There should be no danger in unplugging the device.
Remove the USB connection first. This usually causes the drive to spin down, in my experience.
cj123

Re: <resolved> safe removal of usb drive

Post by cj123 »

It makes an unpleasant sound when I unplug but if that's ok, no problem. Thanks!
NIksoni91

Help Needed From Linux Gurus

Post by NIksoni91 »

Hi Linux Gurus,

I am using the Linux from last 2 years and have'nt found any error in the previous versions of it. Now let me brief you the details. After I turn on my PC and click on the nikunj'shome icon from which we can enter to the drive listed in the PC, soon as I open that I get this error " Unable to mount Floppy Disk " request time out.

Note this error comes always whever strart my PC for the first time. Not only this but when I insert a pen drive or a portable hard disk in PC and when I try to unmount the same it is not unmounted, it remains as mounted only.

Please note I have installed with all admin rights, as mentioned in earlier versions I did not have this problems.

My second query is I am trying to install MS office 2007, wine is installed in my PC, but I am unable to do that as when I try to install the Ms.Office. Kindly provide me the steps for the same.

Third query is when I go to a shared file of windows via samba I get connected to the networked PC but while unmount the same it doest not work, the network PC remains as mounted only.

Look forward to hear from you.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Regards,

Nikunj

Return to “Beginner Questions”