Ubuntu or Mint?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Rukiri

Ubuntu or Mint?

Post by Rukiri »

I've been using linux for a long time now, ran several linux from scratch boxes from 1998-2003 and gentoo from 2003-2013 and I'm just getting mad as I'm not seeing the performance gains anymore that I use to get. While I understand completely that ALL features are turned on by default and that portage is awesome but I'm getting sick of the compilation times especially when I'm not seeing any incentive gains.

I have used slackware which I love but at this point I'm more or less just going for out of box or better yet "best supported platform" on linux, while commercial users see ubuntu I do like mint and would choose LM-ubuntu over LM-debian as if memory serves right ubuntu is based of testing/sid. And.. I also like the app center.

I guess there's also arch linux but as of late it's been...very buggy and I honestly would choose gentoo over it mainly because of stability, even ubuntu 12.10 and 13.04 alpha seemed more stable after extensive use (as in a few months, I am aware that 13.04 alpha was released a month or so ago).

So, why should I choose Mint over Ubuntu?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sammiev

Re: Ubuntu or Mint?

Post by sammiev »

I use both but choose what works for you. Mint is what I use 90% of the times. :D
Rukiri

Post by Rukiri »

There is only one app that I must run before I wipe my working system, it's Photoshop CS6 which I have working under wine. Now, photoshop works but works but only works on some distros, works great in Funtoo though.
I can downgrade to CS5 if I have to, I do have a license for it.

Will Ubuntu/Mint suffice for a video/music studio environment?

Also for those that want to try Gentoo/Funtoom, it's an excellent system that does optimize but when you run crazy hardware like me you will see minimal gains where it's not noticable and a lot of the times now it matters more on drivers and if your hardware even works in linux.

Here is my specs and why source doesn't matter, TO ME, and why gentoo may just end up as my server distro and mint or ubuntu may just be on my desktop.

Intel Xeon E5-2687W Sandy Bridge-EP Overclocked @4.5GHZ
64GB of DDR3 ram @ 3200MHZ (Corsair Plat Dominator series)
PNY VCQ6000-PB Quadro 6000 6GB 384-bit X2
Sapphire Nvidia GTX Geforce 680 2GB (just bought this for gaming)

As you can see pretty crazy and pretty pricey, not for the normal joe. And I'm just not seeing performance gains.
sammiev

Post by sammiev »

I do not use wine or really have much to do with music but listing to radio stations on the net. I have no troubles with CD/DVDs of any kind. Hope others will be by who have done what you are looking for. :D
AnonKS

Post by AnonKS »

I use both Ubuntu 12.10 and Mint cinnamon 14 and mint is definitely the better performer. Also I haven't found an app yet for Ubuntu, that doesn't run under mint (if not better). For my windows apps, I use wine with the "play on Linux" front end. It's a nice GUI for wine and takes all the pain out of installing and running windows apps. I don't have much experience with Photoshop though so I couldn't tell ya how it would run. I have an amd system anyways. Not sure if that makes a difference.

Sent from my Evo 3D GSM using Tapatalk 2
ALF13

Post by ALF13 »

Mint - for a PC/laptop
Ubuntu - for a tablet

Yes I don't like unity, MATE makes me happy :P
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Will Ubuntu/Mint suffice for a video/music studio environment?
Either one in fact there is Ubuntu Studio mix aimed at users like you.
http://ubuntustudio.org/

And PS6 in wine is pretty much available and usable on any disto.

For photography image editing I use
darktable
http://www.darktable.org/
And there is
Rawthrapee
http://rawtherapee.com/blog/features

Good luck on finding a nice distro that fulfills your needs.

Return to “Open Chat”