No flash on web browser

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
yoramdavid

No flash on web browser

Post by yoramdavid »

Hello all.

I have been reading lots of threats about this but could not find any solution.

Flash is not working on my computer. It does not work on Firefox (the plugin is installed) and does not work on Opera either.
I tried to run a .swf video and it does not work either.

I have the nvidia nouveau driver installed by default, but I shoud have the nvidia-173 driver instead, is that the reason why videos are not played?
I did tried to install it following threats found here, but nothing has worked for me.

Not all videos play (.avi) and they are quite slow.

Pleas help, thank you.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
proxima_centauri

Re: No flash on web browser.

Post by proxima_centauri »

Open Firefox and type "about: plugins" in the address bar. Do you see a plugin for Shockwave Flash, if so report the version; if not, make sure mint-flashplugin is installed from the Package Manager.
yoramdavid

Post by yoramdavid »

proxima_centauri wrote:Open Firefox and type "about: plugins" in the address bar. Do you see a plugin for Shockwave Flash, if so report the version; if not, make sure mint-flashplugin is installed from the Package Manager.
Thank you.

Code: Select all

about: plugins
returned:

The address isn't valid
But if I go to the "addons / plugins" I have:
Shokwave Flash 11.2 r202

I also checked on the Package Manager and mint-flashplugin (Adobe Flash plugin 11.2.202.243) is installed.
proxima_centauri

That was my mistake. I should have typed "about:plugins", without the space. But yes, that is the information I requested. Seems flash is installed properly. What video card and drivers are you using?

Type "inxi -Gx" in terminal and paste the output here please.
meteorrock

Post by meteorrock »

We got a thread here in the forums if you want to get that flash up and going. I found the plug-in "flash-aid" works for some, but not for others.

Check out flash-aid at this link here for firefox. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefo ... flash-aid/

If that is not working for you there is a more in depth guide here, follow the instructions about half way down in that thread I have. http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=122822

yoramdavid

Post by yoramdavid »

proxima_centauri wrote:That was my mistake. I should have typed "about:plugins", without the space. But yes, that is the information I requested. Seems flash is installed properly. What video card and drivers are you using?

Type "inxi -Gx" in terminal and paste the output here please.
Thanks a lot proxima_centauri and sorry for the late reply, it was bed time on this side of the world :)

As requested:

inxi -Gx
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA NV36 [GeForce FX 5700LE] bus-ID: 03:00.0 
           X.Org: 1.13.0 drivers: nouveau (unloaded: fbdev) FAILED: vesa Resolution: 1680x1050@59.9hz 
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on NV36 GLX Version: 1.5 Mesa 9.0 Direct Rendering: Yes
Graphics: Card: NVIDIA NV36 [GeForce FX 5700LE] bus-ID: 03:00.0
X.Org: 1.13.0 drivers: nouveau (unloaded: fbdev) FAILED: vesa Resolution: 1680x1050@59.9hz
GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on NV36 GLX Version: 1.5 Mesa 9.0 Direct Rendering: Yes

Looks like the nouveau driver failed to load! But the resolution is good, it is the maximum I can have.

When I try to install additional drivers from the "additional drivers" gui (the nvidia-173 driver), it finds the drivers but tells me they are not activated, I click on activate, then I get an error of Broken packages being held.

Note: I am forced to use the safe mode of Mint as the Normal mode gives me a black screen with only a cursor.
yoramdavid

Post by yoramdavid »

meteorrock wrote:We got a thread here in the forums if you want to get that flash up and going. I found the plug-in "flash-aid" works for some, but not for others.

Check out flash-aid at this link here for firefox. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefo ... flash-aid/

If that is not working for you there is a more in depth guide here, follow the instructions about half way down in that thread I have. http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=122822

Thank you meteorrock.

I had done that previously with no luck. I installed the "flash-aid" add-on and then installed the beta flash. Still flash is not working.
I am now going to have a look at the other threat. I see I need to have java working as well. I did a test (http://www.java.com/en/download/testjava.jsp) and java is working:

Your Java configuration is as follows:

Vendor: Oracle Corporation
Version: Java SE 7 Update 09
Operating system: Linux 3.5.0-17-generic
Java architecture: 32-bit
proxima_centauri

The problem is a bug with the current nvidia-173 package that has package dependencies that don't yet exist. The solution is to install nvidia-173 from the quantal-proposed repository.

To try this, open sources.list from terminal, gksudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
Add the line -> deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ quantal-proposed restricted

Open up Synaptic Package Manager and hit "Reload". Find and install nvidia-173, it should give the package version 173.14.36-0ubuntu0.1. You should be able to install this without any broken dependencies. After installation ensure that the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf refers to Driver "nvidia" and not Driver "nouveau".

Finally remove or comment out (#) the quantal-proposed repository you added in the beginning. Hopefully when you restart the nvidia driver will now load properly and flash will work.

I got the information for this here -> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1064192
yoramdavid

Post by yoramdavid »

proxima_centauri wrote:The problem is a bug with the current nvidia-173 package that has package dependencies that don't yet exist. The solution is to install nvidia-173 from the quantal-proposed repository.

To try this, open sources.list from terminal, gksudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
Add the line -> deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ quantal-proposed restricted

Open up Synaptic Package Manager and hit "Reload". Find and install nvidia-173, it should give the package version 173.14.36-0ubuntu0.1. You should be able to install this without any broken dependencies. After installation ensure that the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf refers to Driver "nvidia" and not Driver "nouveau".

Finally remove or comment out (#) the quantal-proposed repository you added in the beginning. Hopefully when you restart the nvidia driver will now load properly and flash will work.

I got the information for this here -> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1064192
Thanks a lot again for your help.

The command "gksudo" returned a "not installed" error:

gksudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
O programa 'gksudo' não está instalado actualmente. Pode instala-lo escrevendo:
sudo apt-get install gksu
I then used sudo instead but the "sources.list" was empty, I was expecting a file with entries there.

So I opened the package repository and added the line in "other packages".
I had left "sources.list" opened and it told me an external program had changed it, there were two lines added to it referring to the quantal-proposed repository.
But in the package repository under "other packages", there were many lines.

I started Synaptic and reloaded, it told me two errors of not found, I clicked OK and it crashed. I tried to open it again, but it crashes all the time.

I then opened package manager and found the driver there. It is the one you said. I installed it, apparently without errors.

/etc/X11/xorg.conf does not refer to any driver, this is how it looks like:

Section "Device"
	Identifier	"Configured Video Device"
	Driver		"vesa"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier	"Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
	Identifier	"Default Screen"
	Monitor		"Configured Monitor"
	Device		"Configured Video Device"
EndSection
I commented with a "#" that is how one comments is it not?

I restarded and... nothing had changed.
Nouveau is still in use:

inxi -Gx
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA NV36 [GeForce FX 5700LE] bus-ID: 03:00.0 
           X.Org: 1.13.0 drivers: nvidia (unloaded: fbdev,nouveau) FAILED: vesa Resolution: 1680x1050@50.0hz 
           GLX Renderer: GeForce FX 5700LE/AGP/SSE/3DNOW! GLX Version: 2.1.2 NVIDIA 173.14.36 Direct Rendering: Yes
I tried to launch synaptic after the reboot and it loaded fine. :)
I'll be away for a few hours now.
proxima_centauri

Yes, you comment out a line by putting a "#" before it.

Looks like the nvidia drivers are in use now. are you still having issues with flash?

In xorg.conf, you can replace Driver "vesa" with Driver "nvidia", but it looks like it's loading nvidia anyway according to inxi output.
yoramdavid

Post by yoramdavid »

proxima_centauri wrote:Yes, you comment out a line by putting a "#" before it.

Looks like the nvidia drivers are in use now. are you still having issues with flash?

In xorg.conf, you can replace Driver "vesa" with Driver "nvidia", but it looks like it's loading nvidia anyway according to inxi output.
Yes, I still have the same problem.
I had not looked at the ouptu well, you are right it is now loading the Nvidia 173.
But what is that error:

inxi -Gx
Graphics: Card: NVIDIA NV36 [GeForce FX 5700LE] bus-ID: 03:00.0
X.Org: 1.13.0 drivers: nvidia (unloaded: fbdev,nouveau) FAILED: vesa Resolution: 1680x1050@50.0hz
GLX Renderer: GeForce FX 5700LE/AGP/SSE/3DNOW! GLX Version: 2.1.2 NVIDIA 173.14.36 Direct Rendering: Yes
?

The resolution remained the same, but the refresh rate decreased from 59.9hz to 50.0hz ...
I logged off and on again on normal mode of Mint to see if there was any improvement but the desktop is still balck with only a cursor. Curious enough, the screensaver displays correctly.
I am back with the safe mode.
Last edited by yoramdavid on Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
proxima_centauri

xorg.conf is loading the "vesa" driver by default, but for whatever reason it fails and the system loads the nvidia driver instead. I think if you change Driver "vesa" to Driver "nvidia" in xorg.conf, then that FAILED error will no longer appear.
yoramdavid

Post by yoramdavid »

proxima_centauri wrote:xorg.conf is loading the "vesa" driver by default, but for whatever reason it fails and the system loads the nvidia driver instead. I think if you change Driver "vesa" to Driver "nvidia" in xorg.conf, then that FAILED error will no longer appear.
So, that is what that means.
You are right, now it looks like this:

inxi -Gx
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA NV36 [GeForce FX 5700LE] bus-ID: 03:00.0 X.Org: 1.13.0 driver: nvidia Resolution: 1680x1050@50.0hz 
But I still cannot play flash. Any other ideas?
Thank you.
proxima_centauri

In the meantime, try Chrome, it has flash built in.
https://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/browser/
yoramdavid

Post by yoramdavid »

proxima_centauri wrote:In the meantime, try Chrome, it has flash built in.
https://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/browser/
:( I installed it and ran it and it says "It was not possible to load shockwave flash".

Thank you.
yoramdavid

Post by yoramdavid »

I now have a "nvidia xserver settings" entry on the menu under system and another entry (already present from before that says "additional drivers".
When I launch the "additional drivers it lists two drivers: the first one called "NVIDIDA binary Xorg driver, kernel module and VDPAU library" which is not active.
The second entry is the "nvidia_173" driver and the status for this one is "activated but not in use".
yoramdavid

Post by yoramdavid »

I was quite upset about that script error that started appearing every time I would open youtube or a flash web-page (which freezes the firefox and the computer until I would close that tab) I mentioned on an earlier post, so I tried to track what was the cause.

I deactivated all my extras in Firefox and restarted firefox, opened youtube and same script error. Same behaviour but different error message.

Then I deactivated all the languages and dictionnary extensions, nothing changed. I then deactivated the flash plugin along with all the other plugins and no more script error.

I removed any installation of flash I had and then Installed the flashplugin-installer.
I knew that with it I could assist some content of youtube.

I then did research on the web for threats about flash with the solved label.
I found one that solved my problem: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 5&t=104222 which mentioned the mint-flashplugin-10.3. I installed the mint-flashplugin-10.3 but left the flashplugin-installer unlike mauromol did (and I am not trying anything else just in case things go wrong!) and tested:
Results: flash works on all youtube I tested so far and other web-pages I tested it with that have flash for menus or animations.
The Nvidia X server Settings still cannot display the page "X server display Configuration" but I can live with that since I have the resolution I want and flash works :)

I restarted Firefox, re-enabled all the extras, rebooted the computer and it is OK.

It seemed so easy after everything we tried that I could not believe it! :)
I hope it stays like that for a long time now.

Thank you all for your help, I am now going to mark this as solved.

Regards,
Yoram
yoramdavid

Re: No flash on web browser

Post by yoramdavid »

Today I wanted to play videos from facebook and found out that they do not work...

Youtube is still ok, webpages are ok, not facebook. Oh well. I give up for now. I don't know what else to try.

Return to “Software & Applications”