New Gnome DE: Consort

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bimsebasse

New Gnome DE: Consort

Post by bimsebasse »

The SoulsOS crew have recently decided to fork Gnome 3's fallback mode - seen from the sidelines an inevitable progress of the project and likely a more viable solution than maintaining a cluster of patches for whatever trickles down from upstream.

The Gnome landscape is becoming more and more complicated :D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
craig10x

Re: New Gnome DE: Consort

Post by craig10x »

And in fact, it will be usable in other linux distros as well (via ppa like Cinnamon Desktop is)...Ikey is even going to make a ppa for installation of Consort Desktop in Ubuntu :)
HardyH

Post by HardyH »

bimsebasse wrote:The SoulsOS crew have recently decided to fork Gnome 3's fallback mode - seen from the sidelines an inevitable progress of the project and likely a more viable solution than maintaining a cluster of patches for whatever trickles down from upstream.

The Gnome landscape is becoming more and more complicated :D
This shows to me how harmful Gnome 3has been for the Linux desktop, if something would work and people would like/use it, there would not be the need for more and more forks and fragmentation as soon as the Gnome devs remove more functionality for design's sake.
What do we have now?
MATE (Gnome2 Fork), Cinnamon, MGSE, Gnome Shell,Gnome Fallback, Consort, Unity, did I forget something? Oh, yes, I should mention the various Nautilus forks to bring back removed functionality of course.
The guys at Gnome.org should dismiss their 'designer(s) in charge' and redo Gnome from scratch, usability experts should be in charge instead of these so called 'designers', form should follow function (basic design principle, 'designers' who ignore this should not call themselves designers), functionaliy should not be sacrificed to a 'brand identity' or 'consistent look'.
H.
nomko

Post by nomko »

I really don't understand Gnome 3. I mean, after seeing all these forks and after reading all those complains, there's no one of the Gnome developers team that wake's up and scratch behind hi/her ears thinking that they did something terribly wrong? It's an embarrassment for the Gnome developers team to see that much forks. I'm happy to see that the Mint team brought back some Nautilus functions in Nemo. In my opinion: i believe that between the Gnome project team and the end-users there's a huge gap. To me it looks more like that the Gnome project team doesn't have any feeling of what the end-users really want. As example the removal of some functions/functionallity under Nautilus most users are using on almost daily bases...

But on the other hand, isn't this what Linux stands for? The freedom to create your own DE or application if you're not happy with the standard provided DE or application??
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

nomko wrote:To me it looks more like that the Gnome project team doesn't have any feeling of what the end-users really want.
To me it looks like they didn't know what they themselves want. Well, at least it was so when Gnome 3 was born. Recently they started to realize something, I guess it's never too late :D
nomko wrote:But on the other hand, isn't this what Linux stands for? The freedom to create your own DE or application if you're not happy with the standard provided DE or application??
Yes - but when you realize that people not just use your software, they actually rely upon it, that freedom eventually has to make some room for some responsibility.
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

AH !That's an imitation of Linux Mint desktops. It looks exactly the same :lol: :lol:
Image-------
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Brahim wrote:AH !That's an imitation of Linux Mint desktops. It looks exactly the same :lol: :lol:
Image-------
Yep looks like Gnome Team is trying to backstep and hope nobody notices.

And far as I'm concerned the Mint Team has been a big Saviour for the end user.
And no longer have any faith in the Gnome Team and their confused muddled direction for the future.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

HardyH wrote:This shows to me how harmful Gnome 3has been for the Linux desktop
I would say it shows how harmful the Gnome 3 devs have been to Gnome 3 itself. Being spoiled for choice isn't a bad thing. Heck, how many different distros are there?
functionaliy should not be sacrificed to a 'brand identity' or 'consistent look'.
There are two sides to every coin, and I don't believe you're seeing them both.

When someone looks at a Windwoes desktop they know it's a Windwoes desktop. That is the ideal the Gnome 3 devs are striving for, and if they pull it off then they will have achieved something that linux has been lacking since its inception; brand recognition, which comes to Linux from its association with Gnome. They're essentially attempting to level the playing field with Microsoft.

Where the devs have gone wrong is where devs always go wrong, communicating their intentions to the plebians.

Now, having made the case for the opposite side of the coin, please don't make believe I'm a fanboy. I'm not. I'm merely being pragmatic, but at my age (84) you can call it very deeply mellow.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

bimsebasse wrote:Gnome 3's fallback mode

Code: Select all

Page not found
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

They redesigned the website about a month ago, now the old blog posts are nowhere to be found...
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Monsta wrote:They redesigned the website about a month ago, now the old blog posts are nowhere to be found...
More fool them if they're relying on a google page rank to drive advertising revenue.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Orbmiser wrote:
Brahim wrote:AH !That's an imitation of Linux Mint desktops. It looks exactly the same :lol: :lol:
Image-------
Yep looks like Gnome Team is trying to backstep and hope nobody notices.

And far as I'm concerned the Mint Team has been a big Saviour for the end user.
And no longer have any faith in the Gnome Team and their confused muddled direction for the future.
That's a SolusOS screenshot, though. Gnome 3 with Gnome Shell is quite a different beast.

Ikey and clem+Mint devs have sort of the same ideas and wants in a desktop so they're always gonna look like each other, and I think the traffic goes both ways.

Return to “Chat about Linux”