mint backup tool--setting Destination to DVD <CLOSED>

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
scot^2

mint backup tool--setting Destination to DVD <CLOSED>

Post by scot^2 »

1. I want to use the Mint Backup Tool to backup my home directory to a DVD (or possibly a usb flash drive). After I insert a blank dvd-rw I can't find it in the Destination list on the Backup Tool. (It does show any flash drives I have plugged in though.) Where is it? I do see the icon for the blank dvd on the desktop.

2. How can I determine how much space is needed for the backup so I know how many dvds I need or how big of a flash drive I need?

I'm using Mint 13, Cinnamon 1.6, Backup Tool 2.0.7.

Thanks.

**I posted this in Other mint tools but got no response**
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Re: mint backup tool--setting Destination to DVD and space r

Post by caf4926 »

/home can be very big even if you are the only user
typically such a backup isn't needed if you created a separate partition for /home during install
I actually never make a backup such as you are describing. Only ever copy my important files to an external drive if I plan to format /home

By default though, Mint does not create a separate /home, you have to do that using advanced setup.

Making a backup of a potentially large folder like /home
Is probably best done with 'dd'
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
scot^2

Post by scot^2 »

Thanks for your response.

I'm making the backup following the Mint upgrade tutorial here: http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/2 I want to upgrade from Mint 13 to 14. The tutorial suggests using the Backup Tool to backup the home directory to an external drive such as a usb or dvd.

What is 'dd' by the way?
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
scot^2

Post by scot^2 »

Thanks. I'm closing this post since I have gotten close to a solution at: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=124136

Return to “Beginner Questions”