5 minutes till login

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Slojinn

5 minutes till login

Post by Slojinn »

I have an ho machine with Vista and Mint 14 installed. When i choose Mint as my choice, it takes nearly 5 minutes till it logs in (auto login). During that time it is a black screen. How do i shorten the time. I think it is disk checking but nothing shows on the screen between choosing and actual login. Any help is welcome.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
bigj231

Re: 5 minutes till login

Post by bigj231 »

How long does it take to login to vista? I think the disk checking does display something unless your monitor turns off during boot.
What is the output of inxi?

Code: Select all

inxi
Slojinn

Post by Slojinn »

Bigj231, the output is: inxi
CPU~Dual core AMD Athlon 64 X2 3600+ (-MCP-) clocked at 1000.000 Mhz Kernel~3.5.0-17-generic i686 Up~6 min Mem~323.1/2015.9MB HDD~320.1GB(1.2% used) Procs~140 Client~Shell inxi~1.8.4

Vista takes 41 sec and Mint 14 takes 2min 28secs (monitor turns off a little bit after selection and turns back on at 2min 06secs
bigj231

Post by bigj231 »

That is odd. Maybe something is hanging during boot. You could try booting into recovery mode and see what is causing the problem. Or you could just see the messages and find what is broken.
Here is a question asked about Ubuntu being slow to boot: http://askubuntu.com/questions/35497/ho ... tu-booting. Look at the messages as shown in one of those answers, and then let us know what you find.
jaderiver
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jaderiver »

When I experienced extremely long bootup times, this solution worked for me:

In terminal, edit the file /etc/init/failsafe.conf (e.g. sudo pluma /etc/init/failsafe.conf)
Then comment out sleep commands by adding the pound sign (#) at the beginning of each of the four lines involving sleep.

My bootup time was hanging on the comments "Waiting for network configuration" & "Waiting up to 60 more seconds for network configuration." So, your situation is likely different. But, no pain to try.

By the way, after dealing with some Network Manager fixes, I no longer have to use this method.

jaderiver
ASUS U56E 64-bit Mint 21.2 MATE Victoria No longer dualbooting WIN 7 and surviving
T-Mobile 5G or 4GLTE hotspot
; WiFi/Tether to Android hotspot

Return to “Installation & Boot”