VmWare 9.0.1 is AWESOME !

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
raymerjacque
Level 4
Level 4

VmWare 9.0.1 is AWESOME !

Post by raymerjacque »

Ive been using virtualbox for a long time, since Mint 11 or was it 12 ? i cant even remember thats how long ive been using it. I used it because at the time when i read reviews and comparisons virtualbox was said to be faster than Vmware and parallels and it is free.

HOWEVER, i got my hands on a legal version of Vmware 9.0.1 for linux through an IT/linux friend of mine and thought i would give it a bash, O boy was i pleasantly surprised. here is my findings :

Virtualbox 4.1.18:
I use it mainly for photoshop, coffeeshop, running apache, mysql, codeblocks and so forth.
It simulates a 256mb Emulated GFX card and i could never get it to play movies smoothly in anything other than windows media player ( and i hate WMP ) and even then it had issues.
I used Windows 8 in virtual machine it runs quite well, faster than xp but can at times feel little lagging.
Assigned 3GB ram to VPC, switched off VT-X and also set to single core ( this is due to virtualbox bugs with vt-x and multi core cpu's )
Cant game for crap, even card games lag in virtualbox.

Vmware 9.0.1:
Simulates a vmware SVGA gfx card with 896mb Dedicated ram, shader model 3, Dx 9.0c and opengl 2.1 with a further 700mb shared Ram to give total GFX ram of 1596MB
It Scored 5.9 in Windows index rating under GFX
Runs movies smoothly in every media player i have tried including tridef 3D player, and this also streaming over a wireless network.
Windows 8 runs like a dream, no issues, no lag spikes, assigned 3GB ram, 2 cores and set VT-X to Auto ( enabled )
I was able to run a 3D benchmark program ( Aquamark 3 - its the only one i had lying around ) , set everything to max, pixel shaders, anti aliasing etc etc and scored 23000 points ( its similar score to Geforce 6800 or ATI 9800pro )
The shader model 3, opengl 2.1 and dx 9.0c is also similar to both those cards.

Anyway, as a result im sitting here beating myself over the head wondering why the hell i did not try VmWare earlier.... I havnt tried any games, but im pretty sure alot of my older titles will run, possible even titles like oblivion ( might need the "oldblivion patch" ), free lancer etc etc ... I am not a hard core gamer and i have a few favorite titles that i still like to play now and then.

In a nutshell, i just thought i would share my findings, Ill install some titles over the next few days when i get time and post my findings :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

Return to “Open Chat”