RT2800PCI drops invisibly after a few minutes

Questions about WIFI networks and devices
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

RT2800PCI drops invisibly after a few minutes

Postby opethfan on Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:32 am

I'm having some issues on my fresh LMDE install regarding my Ralink powered PCI wifi card. After a few minutes (seems like a few seconds of heavy activity) the connection stops receiving packages but still shows a signal.

The drivers seem loaded fine, I connect to my network (5GHz N) no problem, and disconnecting and then reconnecting fixes the issue temporarily. I also ran apt-get install ralink-firmware which didn't seem to solve anything.

What confuses me is that this doesn't seem to occur on LM14, various Ubuntu spins, Fedora or Fuduntu, just LMDE.

dmesg doesn't seem to say anything different once the drop happens, just one line that seems to be there since boot:

Code: Select all
phy0 -> rt2800pci_mcu_status: Error - MCU request failed, no response from hardware

Any input would be appreciated, thanks.
Last edited by opethfan on Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
opethfan
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: RT2800PCI drops invisibly after a few minutes

Postby opethfan on Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:32 pm

Heads up for others: I fixed the issue by upgrading to the Liquorix 3.7 kernel, and then following one of the guides on the forum there (which links to the Ubuntu forums) on how to patch the fglrx driver installation to allow installing on kernel 3.7.

So if you are having issues with RT2800PCI, try updating your kernel to one newer than 3.2.
opethfan
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Wireless