URGENT!! PLEASE HELP! grub-efi error installing to /target/

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
theusername

URGENT!! PLEASE HELP! grub-efi error installing to /target/

Post by theusername »

Linux Mint Mate 14

"The 'grub-efi' package failed to install into /target/. Without the GRUB boot loader, the installed system will not boot."

Please help!!!
i installed this over Windows and i dont have any other operating system!
I chose install over windows and it confirmed to delete the partitions I continued and now it gives me that error when trying to install please help I had windows 8 before this.

Acer Aspire V3-551G-8454

Whenever I boot the system it says no media found to boot or whatever so im stuck running the live iso from my usb stick

I dont think i can install anything else on this system because ive tried other isos too and they wont boot on the usb. Only linux mint seems to work. Please what caused this issue. I have nothing else installed on the system

I just had mint delete my windows and now this happens. please help

it goes through copying files then gets to installing about 65% and then displays this error it shows Installing Grub2 but when I press CLose on the error then it says installing crashed!!! please help.

EDIT: i found this:
sudo grub-install /dev/sda
sudo update-grub

is this going to work? I will try it next time the error happens... :(

HELP IT DIDNT WORK!!!

Code: Select all

mint@mint ~ $ sudo grub-install /dev/sda
grub-probe: error: failed to get canonical path of /cow.
Path `/boot/grub' is not readable by GRUB on boot. Installation is impossible. Aborting.
mint@mint ~ $ sudo update-grub
/usr/sbin/grub-probe: error: failed to get canonical path of /cow.
mint@mint ~ $ 
this is very bad I cant boot into windows installation usb either please!! please help please!

I dont know anything about technical talk please make it understandable. This was very easy on the last laptop i installed it on. Please this is my main machine please help
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
theusername

Re: URGENT!! PLEASE HELP! grub-efi error installing to /targ

Post by theusername »

I am trying this

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update;sudo apt-get install grub-efi grub-efi-amd64 grub-efi-amd64-bin
Please i will try everything... i need help on this this is my main computer!
i thought installation was suppposed to be simple... this is not this ruined my computer.
theusername

Re: URGENT!! PLEASE HELP! grub-efi error installing to /targ

Post by theusername »

Just wanted to say this has been solved and my solution was turn UEFI boot to Legacy in bios settings
sorry for freaking out.

One question though my computer fan is kind of loud when i first turned it on. I never heard the fan except in games on windows because it is a powerful fan

Return to “Installation & Boot”