Maya totally freezes: upgrade kernel or wait?

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tarverator

Maya totally freezes: upgrade kernel or wait?

Post by tarverator »

I have experienced periodic hard lockups (random total freeze -- only the power button responds -- every couple of weeks) on my Linux Mint Mate Maya 32-bit installation on a Lenovo ThinkPad X230 with the HD 4000 graphics. Apparently this has something to do with a problem with the 3.2 kernel not playing nicely with the graphics hardware, and upgrading to the 3.4 kernel fixes it. I am reluctant to upgrade, however, because I really hate those long chains of broken dependencies that invariably appear in these situations. Can someone help me figure out when (or if) a fix for this hard freeze issue is expected in the supported kernel? Am I better off rolling up my sleeves and doing some tinkering, or am I better off just waiting for a fix?

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
d00med

Re: Maya totally freezes: upgrade kernel or wait?

Post by d00med »

It might be related to this thread (it's marked solved, but it isn't, actually). Though that you're using Mint 13 and having freezes may mean it's a different issue. I'd go ahead and try upgrading. I've never had dependency issues after upgrading per se, but I don't do very much compiling either. And you can always hold down shift while booting to get to the grub menu, and choose your previous kernel, if you have problems.
homerscousin

Re: Maya totally freezes: upgrade kernel or wait?

Post by homerscousin »

I'm not sure how much help I can be, but I am running HD4000 graphics. I was running a non-mint distro with the 3.2 kernel. I was getting random hard freezes 5-10 times per day. I decided rather than try fixing it I'd try other distros. I did read some bug reports on launchpad. Tried Mint 13 KDE, same kernel, and it worked fine. Don't know enough about Linux to really know why. It just seems to be more time efficient to try another distro or same distro, different desktop. Both were 64 bit distros by the way. If you have HD4000 you must have an Ivy Bridge CPU. You probably have 8 Gb ram? I think a 64 bit distro would be better just to start.

I did a fresh install of Mint 14 KDE-64 yesterday, 3.5.0-17 kernel. No freezes, just some minor whackies, half of them fixed by now.

Return to “Hardware Support”