can't change default application for mp3s

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
podzol

can't change default application for mp3s

Post by podzol »

LMDE

I can't change default application for opening mp3 files from Movie Player.

I've set the preferred application for multimedia player to audacious but when I click on an mp3 file it is still opened with Movie Player.
I've tried using Nautilus as root and changed setting under right click on file - properties - open with - and that stays at audacious but if I do the same not as root then I can't alter it there.
I've tried right click on an mp3 file - open with - then audacious and check the box for remember this application.

The problem seems to be just with mp3 files.

If I uninstall movie player, the default becomes some other application and still not audacious. The fault doesn't seem to be with audacious as I cannot change the default effectively to VLC either.

. . . any help appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
podzol

Re: can't change default application for mp3s

Post by podzol »

podzol wrote:LMDE

I've set the preferred application for multimedia player to audacious but when I click on an mp3 file it is still opened with Movie Player.
I've tried using Nautilus as root and changed setting under right click on file - properties - open with - and that stays at audacious but if I do the same not as root then I can't alter it there.
I've tried right click on an mp3 file - open with - then audacious and check the box for remember this application.

If I uninstall movie player, the default becomes some other application and still not audacious. The fault doesn't seem to be with audacious as I cannot change the default effectively to VLC either.

The following seems to have worked:

Open /home/myusername/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list
Replace all instances of the word 'totem' with 'audacious' in any of the lines which deal with audio (and there are a lot)

I'd still like to find out why the normal way of doing this doesn't work.
podzol

Post by podzol »

podzol wrote:
podzol wrote:LMDE

The following seems to have worked:

Open /home/myusername/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list
Replace all instances of the word 'totem' with 'audacious' in any of the lines which deal with audio (and there are a lot)

I'd still like to find out why the normal way of doing this doesn't work.

H E L P M E S O M E O N E

I suppose this is related - I can't change my mouse from left to right handed click. I can tick the box for right-handed in the Mouse and Touchpad settings box and close it down, but my mouse is still on left click.
podzol

Post by podzol »

I tried a clean reinstall, but the issue of being unable to easily change the default application for mp3s to audacious remains.

I am using synapse as a launcher. When I enter mouse it brings up a windows titled 'mouse and touchpad'.
changing mouse orientation there does not work, however if I go to Control Centre, clicking on mouse there brings up a different window ('Mouse Preferences') and changing orientation there does work.

I also used Synapse to try and install a printer. It will bring up a window called 'printers' where it is possible to add printers. They didn't work. I had to reinstall in that window, then go to Control Centre and click on 'Printing' there which brings up a window called 'Printing - localhost' and that gives a choice of drivers to use and worked well for me.

It does seem misleading to have two separate graphical means of adding printers or changing mouse settings and in each case only one working.

Despite these very minor niggles, LMDE is fantastic - especially with the massive update. For me it seems more stable, faster and less Windows like than Ubuntu or the Mint versions of Unbuntu, and I expect to be installing it on a good few machines in the future.
rop75
Level 2
Level 2

Post by rop75 »

podzol wrote:I tried a clean reinstall, but the issue of being unable to easily change the default application for mp3s to audacious remains.
Just open a terminal and type: sudo gedit /etc/gnome/default.lists. That is the file you need to edit to change the default apps to open any kind of file
podzol

Post by podzol »

Thanks for the suggestion.

There is a file:
/etc/gnome/defaults.list

Would that edit default for all users whereas the one I edited only affects my login?
Gid

Post by Gid »

I had the exact same problem but with MPEG video files. They refused to open with anything but the bundled player (gnome-mplayer, I think). I uninstalled that program, and the MPEG file association stuck itself to VLC--so I uninstalled that and was finally allowed to use SMPlayer.

Had either gnome-mplayer or VLC been necessary apps, I'd still be dealing with the problem today.
Big_Dave

Post by Big_Dave »

I had this same problem earlier today on LMDE UP8. Altering both instances of default.list didn't do anything for my primary userID. The file I needed to change was located as follows:

~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list

I replaced all instances of totem.desktop with my preferred application and everything worked properly.

-Dave
Mute Ant

Post by Mute Ant »

I always accept the ''updated by you or a script'' changes, which sometimes alters the application+file association. Right-Click an MP3 file and select [Properties] [Open With] and select the Audacious radio button. Sometimes it refuses to change; press Reset in that dialogue and try again.
cjorsinger

Post by cjorsinger »

Mute Ant wrote:I always accept the ''updated by you or a script'' changes, which sometimes alters the application+file association. Right-Click an MP3 file and select [Properties] [Open With] and select the Audacious radio button. Sometimes it refuses to change; press Reset in that dialogue and try again.
I tried this, to change the default application for MPEG4 files, and it worked. Apparently, I hadn't tried hitting Reset before.

Thanks.

Return to “LMDE Archive”