X doesn't start and sound is missing

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cogitans

X doesn't start and sound is missing

Post by cogitans »

I've had my computer working perfectly for 2-3 weeks now. Suddenly this morning the computer wouldn't get past the "checking battery" during startup. I fetched my laptop and searched for a solution. So now i boot up and when X won't start - that means the computer is halted (the dots bellow the Mint-text on the black background are still moving) - I simply press ALT+F1. Then I login and types "startx". Then I get to the desktop. This new behaviour is the first problem.

I thought about what could be the cause to this new behaviour since last night and got to the conclusion that yeasterday I installed Gparted and maybe that was the problem. So I uninstalled Gparted - but the problem still persists.

The next problem is that now my computer has no sound. The sound is a 100% and when I play a mediafile I see bars in the GUI of the player moving - hence the sound IS there - just not in my loudspeakers.
So I began to backtrack the cause of this problem about the sound. When I press the icon for sound in the lower right corner of the desktop and choose the "Output-unit" I see that the only option "artificial outputdata" is selected.
When I go to "Menu->settings->sound" I see that the sound is at "on" and at 100%. Under "unit for outdate" there's still only one icon - which is selected: "artificial outdata". If I go to the tap "hardware" I see that no unit is listed.

Conclusion:
I'm very confused and don't know how to solve this. If it was Windows I would try to search for hardwaredevices. But I don't know how to do that in Linux Mint - nor if this is the correct way to solve the problem (neither why the problem(s) got to exist in the first place).

If anybody knows how to troubleshoot these problems then please help - thanks in advance!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
cogitans

Re: X doesn't start and sound is missing

Post by cogitans »

Well, after waiting for 1 week for a reply (or any response at all) I can now only conclude that I am to find a solution to the problem myself.

As a result of using Windows through several decades I've learned 2 VERY important things: keep your OS separated from the rest of your data (best solution is on a seperate drive) and to keep a fresh backup of the OS when everything is installed and optimized (in this way you can easily restore everything when the OS *f-u-c-k-s* up - 'coz it WILL *f-u-c-k* up).

1 month ago when I had severe problems about Linux Mint I decided to make a backup so that I could restore everything easily again. And this backup is going to be used now.
Strange thing, though - I was under the impression that Linux (Mint) was the best thing to get rid of all these crazy acts to secure your OS. But as I've experienced for the last few months Linux Mint is just like Windows on this matter. Alway keep a backup 'coz the OS WILL *f-u-c-k* up!!!

Return to “Sound”