Can't install KDE login themes

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
helios5993

Can't install KDE login themes

Post by helios5993 »

Hi, I've been trying to install a login theme I downloaded from kde-look.org, but when I try to install it through System Settings-> Login Screen -> Theme, it shows the following error.

Code: Select all

There were errors while installing the following themes:
/tmp/kde-user/kdmthemesHvbC3H/Kubuntu KDM Gears (flat relief)
(I replaced my actual user name with "user" in "kde-user")

Back when I used Kubuntu I didn't had these issues, I tried different solutions found on google, like starting system settings as root, but the same error appears, and also copying the extracted tar.gz files to the directory /usr/share/kde4/apps/kdm/themes, but the themes I copied does not appear. I tried installing from "Get new Themes" and only worked on root, and one of the themes I installed through "Get New Themes" could be installed manually through system settings.

I don't know what could be the problem, is there any idea of what could it be?

Thank you in advance.

Helios5993
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
helios5993

Re: Can't install KDE login themes

Post by helios5993 »

Well, after some research and time, I've came with the idea of installing a theme directly from "Get New Themes" on the configuration screen and then modifying them, so here are the instructions:

1.- Open a terminal and type:

kdesudo kcmshell4 kdm
2.- Introduce your user password when asked for it to
3.- Go to the tab "Theme" on the Login Screen" windows that opens
4.- Select "Get New Themes" and choose the one you like the most and install it
5.- After it's installed open Dolphin (Or your favorite File Manager) and navigate to

/usr/share/kde4/apps/kdm/themes
6.- Open the folder of the theme you installed
7.- In this folder you'll find the background image of the theme (Usually named "background") and any other images that the theme use, these are the files you must replace, so you can copy as root an image and rename it "background" or the file name of the image the theme has as background, but be careful that the image you copy has the same file extension as the original, for example: If the original background image is "background.png" you must copy a PNG image, else it won't work.
8.- Once you have modified all the images you want, select the theme on the Login Screen configuration window and hit Apply. Now, to check if it worked just close your current session so you can go to the Login Screen.

This worked for me, maybe it's not a solution for installing themes but it worked for what I wanted to do. I guess you can also modify the code of the xml file to fully modify the theme.

So, that's it I hope this can help someone.

Helios5993
helios5993

[Solved] Can't install KDE login themes

Post by helios5993 »

This is to mark the issue as solved

Return to “Software & Applications”