File Right-CLick Compress does not work

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
christos

File Right-CLick Compress does not work

Post by christos »

I am using Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon and I have a problem with the compress option when I right-click on a file and press compress. When I press compress nothing happens and I can not figure out what the problem is.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Orbmiser

Re: File Right-CLick Compress does not work

Post by Orbmiser »

Right clicking file from within Nemo right?
As I get a dialog popup to where to compress to.
screenshot-area.png
christos

Post by christos »

I am trying with nemo and it does not work. Nautilus does not seem to give me the compress option. Is there a way to check nemo's log for errors? Where can I find nemo's log?
christos

Post by christos »

I have figured out the problem which basically occured because I had first installed the MATE edition of Mint and then on top of it I installed cinnamon. The problem was that the default archive manager for cinnamon is file-roller which was not installed with cinnamon. Once I installed it via synaptics all is ok now.
rcrath

Post by rcrath »

I am using lmde, and as far as I know I have not installed mate, but I had this too. In the repos there is now a "nemo-file-roller" which was/is installed, and gnome's "file-roller" which was not. It seems nemo still looks for the gnome file roller rather than its own, as installing the gnome version fixed the problem for me even though nemo-file-roller was already installed. I guess this should probably get a bug report...
marmistrz

Post by marmistrz »

Well, I have file-roller installed and still nothing happens after clicking compress... Any idea why?

Migrated from MATE to Cinnamon as well.

/edit: after suspending and waking up, worked again. Weird.

Return to “Software & Applications”