A Good Read...What Do You Think?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
OldManHook

A Good Read...What Do You Think?

Post by OldManHook »

http://www.ofb.biz/safari/article/797.html

What Do You Think...Note last Comment by Writer.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Re: A Good Read...What Do You Think?

Post by tdockery97 »

404 Not Found
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
sammiev

Post by sammiev »

tdockery97 wrote:404 Not Found
+1 still 404 a few hours later.
OldManHook

Post by OldManHook »

sammiev wrote:
tdockery97 wrote:404 Not Found
+1 still 404 a few hours later.
Thanks Guys...Has Fixed Link...Do read and Comment :) :)
zeke

Post by zeke »

I think the author pretty much hit the nail on the head. Linux really appeals to people who like to endlessly install different "distros", argue about which one has the best application launcher, and feel superior to the "sheep" who use "Windows". You could add cheap contrarians (like myself) to the list. All those people who basically consider a computer system to be an appliance ... not so much. They tend to value stability and predictability, neither of which Linux offers.

That being said, I think the author overstates his case a bit. I think if someone is going to make significant innovations they sometimes need to trust their instincts and have confidence that in the end they can win over people who resist (i.e. want stability). For example, I haven't been using modern linux that long, so I don't know much about all the fuss surrounding KDE4. All I know is that I have been using KDE 4.9 and it is quite nice, so in my opinion the developers were probably right to make the changes that led to the current state, even tho they apparently alienated quite a few users of the venerated KDE3.
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

In Open Source, the roles are reversed. The coders are demigods and those who serve as their management and marketing are dependent, and much closer. The software is superior only at things coders and techies notice.

Meanwhile, the user is totally left out in the cold by both types of software production.

Open Source software is seldom better and often inferior in all the ways most important to ordinary users, while commercial software meets most of their expectations.

Yep he nailed a lot my perceptions coming back to linux recently. And a lot of the negative issues about linux are still breathing and growing.
sammiev

Post by sammiev »

Orbmiser wrote:
In Open Source, the roles are reversed. The coders are demigods and those who serve as their management and marketing are dependent, and much closer. The software is superior only at things coders and techies notice.

Meanwhile, the user is totally left out in the cold by both types of software production.

Open Source software is seldom better and often inferior in all the ways most important to ordinary users, while commercial software meets most of their expectations.

Yep he nailed a lot my perceptions coming back to linux recently. And a lot of the negative issues about linux are still breathing and growing.
I totally agree as well.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

It's a bunch of baloney in my book, especially the ranting against open source software. I'm the only one currently on Linux in my family, but everybody is using Firefox for Internet, Thunderbird for e-mail, and LibreOffice for documents. Okay, they use Skype for video calls. But basically everything they use daily, aside from games, is open source or would also run on Linux. Yes for Linux you need to take more care when buying a computer or peripherals, but other than that there's no difference from user perspective if you aren't familiar with installing operating systems, or don't have enough Google-Fu to solve issues you run into. You'll need somebody to do all the installation work for you, regardless of whether you are using Windows or Linux.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Uninformed tripe.

Return to “Open Chat”