Taskbar, Updating

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Taskbar, Updating

Post by Hoser Rob »

Just installed KDE over Mint 13 Mate with synaptic on my netbook ... 4.8.something ... I was using xfce before. So technically this isn't the KDE version of mint, but here goes ...

I wanted to try kde because most of my favorite programs are Qt based, and I just don't want to use any other file manager than dolphin. The system runs very smoothly. More so than xfce or mate. Supposedly you're not supposed to use kde in a 1Gb netbook but it runs very, very well.

Except ... there are no icons on the taskbar representing the programs I am running. This is most inconvenient. Am I gmissing something here or is this a bug like xfce 4.10 where all external drives appeared twice on the desktop? If so, it'd be a worse bug, since I can't think of a workaround for this.

I also installed kde with synaptic on another laptop running xubuntu 12.10. 4.9.something. No problems there.

Also ... I tried to run the Mint update manager earlier today. Nothing happens that I can see. Nothing like "update manager" or "mint update" appeared in task manager.

What the hell could be going on here?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Taskbar, Updating

Post by caf4926 »

You need to add the task manager widget, if I understand you correctly.

You can actually delete the panel you have and add back a default panel

Be sure, once you have things as you like to lock the widgets, or they are easy to delete.
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

caf4926 wrote:You need to add the task manager widget, if I understand you correctly...
Thanks for the response ... funny, I just found that out and was coming here to update the thread. Though it seems a wee bit funny to me that you'd have to do that.

Now, would anyone have any idea why I can't run update manager from kde?
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

Update manager does run from kde
Can you find it in the applications list? Alt+F2
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Thanks for the reply.

I'm sure update manager does run from kde ... this is actually kde installed over mint 13 maya MATE, though I was actually using xfce instead of mate. But I don't see how that should make a difference. Famous last words.

I looked a bit closer at the kde task manager when I tried to run it again. "mint update" and something else related appears, highlighted in red, then disappears from the list.

I think later today I'm going to try making & booting a live usb from the actual mint 13 KDE release and see what happens.

KDE may be worth the trouble to reinstall the kde version, and then maybe install xfce from synaptic. It's slower to load but actually runs at a similar speed to xfce & mate ... and this is on a 1Gb netbook.

I don't know ... it just feels polished like no other linux shell I've used, and this is the 5th I've tried. Mind you, I know someone who has 15 shells.
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

Create a new user and see if things look different there
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Thanks for the response...

I did more than create a new user. I iinstalled Mint 13 KDE. Single boot instead of dual. There were just too many variables what with grub and 3 shells installed. Now it works fine.

Return to “Software & Applications”