<SOLVED> Apt line of repository

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
vgusev

<SOLVED> Apt line of repository

Post by vgusev »

I am going to use Synaptic for installation of apps but I need to include repository into source list what I would prefer to do using Synaptic. To do so I need to know apt line for certain repository and my question is how I can know the apt line of such repository (for example it's about Launchy http://www.launchy.net/). Please advise. Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Apt line of repository

Post by xenopeek »

Where have you found the repository for Launchy? I can only find a .deb file you can download and run to install...
vgusev

Post by vgusev »

May be you are right, it might be not repository. Another question if Launchy to be installed by useing .deb file shall it be upgraded or it will be somehow static app?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

If you install a program from a .deb file, and that same program is not in one of your repositories, then no it will not be upgraded automatically. It will be just as on Windows, and you will have to upgrade the program yourself by downloading a newer version's .deb file and again installing that.
vgusev

Post by vgusev »

thank you very much. to finalize the issue i would like to check my understanding how to install app from .deb file. as far as i understood to do so i need just to click .deb file as the package has its own installer it will be launched and allow to install the app by following (relatively) simple instructions. my major concern is that i would prefer not to use terminal and its commands to install and in the worse case would like to use something like synaptic. please kindly clarify. thanks!
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

You can just double-click the .deb file in your file manager, and it will automatically open GDebi from where you can install the program with one click. A .deb file is an archive that has both the requirements (aka dependencies) that need to be met, like other programs or libraries that are needed by the program; the files that file be installed on your system; and the installation scripts. Once you have installed a program from a .deb file, it will also show up in Synaptic and other package managers you use. This may be a helpful topic for you: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=97158
vgusev

Post by vgusev »

thanks you very much once again. do appreciate your assistance.
vgusev

Post by vgusev »

taking an opportunity that you are online i would like you to clarify the question indicated in the subject - how can i determined apt line for repository to include it into synaptic for example to allow work with such repository? thank you!
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

If a program has a repository, it will most likely be clearly displayed on its website. This program doesn't seem to have a repository, so you have to manually download and install a file.
vgusev

Post by vgusev »

Now I am not talking about Launchy, just about a general principle, if the programme has a repository how can I see its apt line which is to be included into the synaptic to enable install and upgrade the app in future? Thank you
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

vgusev wrote:if the programme has a repository how can I see its apt line
Perhaps I'm thinking you are asking something other than what I'm understanding you are asking... If a program has a repository you can use on Linux Mint (or Ubuntu), it will most likely show that on its website.

For example, if you want to add a PPA, like Y PPA Manager which is here: https://launchpad.net/~webupd8team/+arc ... pa-manager. If you then click on "Technical details about this PPA", it will show you the lines you need to add (after you pick the Ubuntu version on which your Linux Mint version is based, which you can find here: http://www.linuxmint.com/oldreleases.php).
vgusev

Post by vgusev »

seems all is clear now. thank your very much!

Return to “Software & Applications”