Borked Cinnamon?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kimboinatl

Borked Cinnamon?

Post by kimboinatl »

So I think I did something to Cinnamon, and I'm not sure what I did. I think I may have accidentally deleted a directory it uses and/or changed the permissions on something I shouldn't have.

The background for my desktop is now always black. It will show that I've got a background wallpaper selected, but it never changes it to that - it is just always black. It also does not save apps I add to my panel, and doesn't save my desktop icon arrangement (although the icons are all still there).

Anyone have any idea what I may have done, and/or know of a way to fix it? Can I just uninstall and reinstall Cinnamon?

P.S. I have tried doing:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get remove --purge cinnamon
sudo apt-get install cinnamon
And I have also tried blowing away the .cinnamon directory in my home directory.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kimboinatl

Re: Borked Cinnamon?

Post by kimboinatl »

Bump. Anyone have any suggestions?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
hurt138

Post by hurt138 »

You could try adding a new user to the system.

Login with that user and see if the desktop is fine for them... This will at least tell you if your issue is specific to your users home directory and cinnamon files.
kimboinatl

Post by kimboinatl »

hurt138 wrote:You could try adding a new user to the system.

Login with that user and see if the desktop is fine for them... This will at least tell you if your issue is specific to your users home directory and cinnamon files.
Excellent idea, thanks! I'll give that a try.

Return to “Beginner Questions”