difficulty converting files with WinFF

Questions about codecs, DVD playback, web plugins...
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

difficulty converting files with WinFF

Postby Barnabooth on Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:53 am

January 26th, 2013
I am running an HP-Compaq dc5100 Pentium (R)4 3.20 with 796 M of RAM.
I have been running Linux Mint 14 Xfce for about a month.
Yesterday I installed WinFF—I wanted to download some Youtube videos in flv, convert them to wav, and burn them to a CD (we have found that someone suffering from Alzheimer's often finds the music from their youth comforting).
I downloaded sixteen videos with Download Helper, and then transferred them as a batch to Winff. I tried playing several of the files through WinFF with no difficulties.
I set the output details to Convert to: Audio and Preset: Wav for CD and Output Folder: home/owner/Music.
When I hit “Convert”, the terminal opened, and it began to do its thing, but when it closed, I found that it had converted the first six tunes only. I attempted to do the remaining tunes as a second batch, but this time the terminal flicked open and closed again before I saw what it said, if anything.
I tried again, with six tunes, and then with two, but always with the same result: the terminal flicking open and shut.
I removed and reinstalled WinFF and ffmpeg, and this time installed codecs, but WinFF continued to do nothing (other than opening and shutting the terminal).
I had found nothing germane on the forums, and I was unsure whether this was a bug with WinFF, or Linux Mint, or whether my computer simply needed more memory, so I installed WinFF on my laptop, which is running Ubuntu 10.04 (and has 4G of memory, although only 3 are used).
Again, there was no difficulty playing the tunes in WinFF—but when I attempted to convert the same sixteen videos—WinFF did only the first nine. This time, when I attempted to do the remaining files as a second batch, it cooperated.
I installed Transmageddon, which worked the one time I have tried it, but only wants to convert one file at a time, and feels a bit limited in comparison with WinFF.
Is WinFF simply a prima donna? Or is there a fix for these hit-or-miss results? Since I eventually get results, I can't complain too much...but I'll be grateful for any help.
Barnabooth
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: difficulty converting files with WinFF

Postby jungle_boy on Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:21 pm

Unfortunately WinFF works fine only in windows...
LM16 Cinnamon (PC); LM14 Cinnamon with AMD Catalyst (notebook)
HP Pavilion g4-1316br, AMD Quad Core, 1,5 GHz, Radeon 6520G/7450M,
Linuxcounter Registered User #506065 (2008)
jungle_boy
Level 6
Level 6

Postby mfluder on Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:09 pm

Sorry Jungle, but I disagree. Just got done encoding my entire music library today with winff in Linux Mint 13. It works great. It works just as good if not better than the windows version. I made presets for FLAC and OGG. I went from MP4 to FLAC. Then FLAC to OGG. Also made MP3s. Super fast. No problems.
mfluder
Level 2
Level 2

Postby mfluder on Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:11 pm

Barnabooth, try downloading the videos as MP4 with smplayer (smtube). Should be easier to convert then.
mfluder
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Sound, Multimedia, & Codecs