HELP! Lowering volume completely mutes speakers

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
digitman

HELP! Lowering volume completely mutes speakers

Post by digitman »

My linux mate is working great, except for just one problem. If I lower my volume (from taskbar), then if it goes down below around 16-20%, the volume is completely muted. So my only options are to keep the volume between 20% and 100%. For loud songs this is very problematic.

Any ideas?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
digitman

Re: HELP! Lowering volume completely mutes speakers

Post by digitman »

bump
Tit

Post by Tit »

There is a similar topic here:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=122583

There is an explanation here:
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Softwar ... eMyVolumes

But, how do I "pass the 'control=' parameter to module-alsa-sink (and friends) and pass the name of a single mixer control that PulseAudio should control"??? :shock:

There is another possible solution here:
http://tombuntu.com/index.php/2010/05/0 ... ulseaudio/
Here's the text:
You’ll need to edit a PulseAudio configuration file to make the fix. Run the following command in a terminal to open it in the text editor (you will be prompted for your password):
gksu gedit /etc/pulse/default.pa
Find the following line in the file:
load-module module-udev-detect
And change it to this:
load-module module-udev-detect ignore_dB=1
Save and close the editor. Run the following command in a terminal to restart PulseAudio (it restarts when killed):
killall pulseaudio
Try this out and please post results :mrgreen: Thank you
Tit

Post by Tit »

Hmm, well the above two solutions worked very poorly for me, but I have a workaround: install pulseaudio-equalizer

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nilarimogard/webupd8 && sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install pulseaudio-equalizer
Run it and check "EQ enabled".

When you enable the equalizer, a "LADSPA Plugin Multiband EQ" appears in the volume controls of the sound preferences. Setting your default output to 100% and then using the volume buttons gives the following result:
volume buttons control the equalizer, default sink stays at 100% - woohoo :mrgreen: Have sound 'till 0% AND an equalizer.

Hope this was helpful...
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Tit wrote:install pulseaudio-equalizer
Thanks for the lead. I'm as deaf as a wooden post and use bone-conducting headphones, which I can hear perfectly with when I have them on. This tool has allowed me to tune the sound to my tastes.

Cheers, it's appreciated.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
digitman

Post by digitman »

This needs to be fixed by the linux mint team, its a major bug and inexcusable that the taskbar volume control mutes the speakers at 15-16%

Return to “Sound”