Former Xandros User Back In Linux and Loving Mint

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
judyz

Former Xandros User Back In Linux and Loving Mint

Post by judyz »

It's been a few years away from Linux for me. I was active in the Xandros community as a forums mod and beta tester. Sadly Xandros died the death of neglect and with less time available to me I turned back to Windows. I wanted to say a quick hello to any other former Xandros users who might have joined the Mint Community.

A few years later here I am with some free time so I thought I would check out how Linux has changed. I am absolutely gob smacked. The level of Polish and integration is remarkable. Far less Terminal commands required to get things working. The level of improvement is wonderful.

At this point I don't have much to contribute but I can write a few notes on my install experience. I downloaded the 64 bit Cinamon Install disc and put it in a Toshiba Satellite L300D laptop and this was the things that struck me. I tried to look at it the way a typical new user coming from a Windows background would without any background linux knowledge. Which considering how rusty I am probably isn't that far from the truth :D I am mostly focusing on constructive criticism since that is how we make things even better!

1) The install begins with the live CD portion running a fair amount of code while just displaying a terminal window. Even in a fairly modern laptop drive the pauses and length of time it takes to get from CD in the drive to seeing a GUI is a bit long and at times could leave a newbie wondering if something might have crashed.

2)The webcam initalization to take a picture during install was a wonderful touch. It was the aha moment for me as to the change in how Linux hardware support has evolved. Kudos to whoever came up with that idea!

3) The install was quite painless and simple. I might have preferred more options to choose what I want to install from the get go rather than searching for things and adding them later. Personally I think you should include Wine and and other Features you are listing in the slide show in the default install. A windows convert will be downloading some kind of .exe file for a program they miss pretty quickly and will be wondering why it doesn't run.

4) I personally think one of the last bastions of new user comfort that linux has to cross is more user friendly naming. We have come a long way from the dpkg in terminal days but a Windows Refugee will have no clue where to go to find software. Synaptic Package Manager isn't exactly a user intuitive name for a software installer and the GUI is definately designed more for the power user than the newbie.

I hope this is helpful. Thanks so much to all the people who have worked to make this amazing Distro. I am excited to see how it evolves/

Judyz
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
The-Wizard

Re: Former Xandros User Back In Linux and Loving Mint

Post by The-Wizard »

welcome back to Linux and the Mint family forums

wizard
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Yes, welcome back to Linux :D Have fun with Linux Mint!

Installing from DVDs can indeed be slow, hence the Linux Mint ISO can also be put on a USB stick which is much faster to boot and install from (http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/744). As for naming applications, "Software Manager" seems like a pretty normal name to me and it is a favorite in the menu. It's also covered in the Linux Mint User Guide (which is linked from the Welcome Screen). We wouldn't recommend users new to Linux to use Synaptic, the Software Manager is much more suitable to new users I think.
judyz

Post by judyz »

This is the part where I wipe the egg off my face. I somehow missed the "software manager". I remembered synaptic from the "old days". Glad it has a new friend. :lol:

Thanks for the kind welcome. I will have to try the usb stick option. it will come in handy on reinstalls. Already managed to break my install once so I am well ontrack to relearning things. :D
meteorrock

Post by meteorrock »

Hi there :)

jesica

Post by jesica »

Good day and welcome to the forum

Return to “Introduce Yourself”