Accidentally deleted MATE-desktop, can't login now

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
frankyemei

Accidentally deleted MATE-desktop, can't login now

Post by frankyemei »

Hi All,

I accidentally deleted the MATE-desktop and can't login now. I don't even have a terminal to "sudo apt-get install Mate-desktop". Anyone can help?

thanks ahead,
Frank
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Accidentally deleted MATE-desktop, can't login now

Post by tdockery97 »

Reboot your system. At the Grub screen select to boot in the recovery mode. It should bring you to a login prompt in what looks like a full screen terminal. You can login there, and if you have ethernet connection you can run sudo apt-get install mate-desktop.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
frankyemei

Post by frankyemei »

tdockery97 wrote:Reboot your system. At the Grub screen select to boot in the recovery mode. It should bring you to a login prompt in what looks like a full screen terminal. You can login there, and if you have ethernet connection you can run sudo apt-get install mate-desktop.
Hi tdockery97,

Thank you for the reply.

I went to the safe mode and the root shell. However, when i tired "apt-get update", the terminal shows "can't fetch http://.... It seems there is not internet connect.

When I tried "apt-get install mate-desktop" it shows
"W:Not using locking for read onlly lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock
E:Unable to write to /var/cache/apt/
E:The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened"

How to get connected to the internet in this safe mode?

Can I install the mate-desktop package from the Mint-Mate installation DVD, without using internet? How to do that?

thanks,
Frank
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

I think the root console may mount your root partition read-only, hence giving the errors about not being able to write. You can remount the root partition for read-write access with the following command:

Code: Select all

mount -o remount,rw /
frankyemei

Post by frankyemei »

xenopeek wrote:I think the root console may mount your root partition read-only, hence giving the errors about not being able to write. You can remount the root partition for read-write access with the following command:

Code: Select all

mount -o remount,rw /
I tried
"mount -o remount,rw", but still not working.
it shows "..., For many more details, say man 8 mount"

Thanks,
Frank
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Did you forget the final / (forward slash)? That is the directory you want to remount.
frankyemei

Post by frankyemei »

xenopeek wrote:Did you forget the final / (forward slash)? That is the directory you want to remount.
the mount commond works now with the slash sign. but apt-get install mate-desktop shows the packages is already new, and no new packages is installed. but, the normal login screen shows mate is not there. Then,I tried to apt-get install kde-standard,but it shows failed to fetch "http://archives. ubuntu.....". it seems it cannot get the internet connection, but I am sue Ethernet is well connected.
thanks
frankyemei

Post by frankyemei »

I guess there is no internet connection in the safe mode. So, I am thinking about two other ways to solve the problem 1.Recovery from liveCD, like https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCdRecovery
2. stop mint from loading the login window, and stay at the terminal.

Return to “Beginner Questions”