fglrx amd driver - automatic fan speed?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

fglrx amd driver - automatic fan speed?

Postby subvision on Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:53 am

Hello guys and friends of linux mint.

I am using linux mint 13 mate 32 bit.

In the ubuntu-wiki I have read, that with older proprietary fglrx amd drivers you have to set the graphic-cards fan speed manually to a certain amount, before starting 3d-programs, or maybe games with wine.

Fglrxinfo in the terminal gives me these info:

Code: Select all
display: :0  screen: 0
OpenGL vendor string: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series
OpenGL version string: 4.2.11627 Compatibility Profile Context

I am not able to download and install later drivers or driver corrections, so this is the driver I have to deal with.

Do I have to manually set the fan speed of my graphics-card or will it happen automatically? I have tested a demoscene demo, and I listened to the fans in my computer, but nothing has happened. In the ubuntu-wiki was also to be read, that with older drivers the graphicscard-fan will run at 100% all the time. In my situation this is not the case.

Do I have to worry or can I let things run?

Thanks in advance,

subvision
subvision
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: fglrx amd driver - automatic fan speed?

Postby subvision on Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:00 am

I have no other choice, but to bumb this topic this way. I have no button at the bottom of the first post to bump my thread.

So... BUMB!

And sorry, but I have no other choice. This problem I take very serious because I don't want my hardware to take any damage. And on the www I only found the info I have described.

Please, I need help.

Thanks in advance,

subvision
subvision
Level 1
Level 1

Postby wayne128 on Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:57 am

Do I have to manually set the fan speed of my graphics-card or will it happen automatically?

Do I have to worry or can I let things run?

So far for all the 4 ati graphic cards I had on several computer, I have never bothered on checking fan speed.

What I do all the time is, if the distros had not yet install lm-sensors, I would just install them and check either from terminal or add a sensor applet and let it shows up on a taskbar.

For example, now I am running from Live partedmagic for learning and testing, it has lm-sensors installed, I can show you what the sensors on terminal likes

root@partedmagic:~# sensors
coretemp-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
Core 0: +39.0°C (high = +89.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 2: +41.0°C (high = +89.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)

radeon-pci-0100
Adapter: PCI adapter
temp1: +68.0°C

root@partedmagic:~#

You see from above, the ati driver card is running 'hot' around 68degC, because it is using the radeon ( free ) driver.
two CPU had around 40degC coretemp, my room temp is around 30degC.

If I go to install the fglrx or ati / amd driver, the GPU temp will become around 55-57degC, a 10degC cooler, very much cooler and thus you can predict what would be the advantage... prolong life span..

I suggest you experiment a bit on lm-sensors and sensors applet, and check to see that your ati card is running cooler.

EDIT,
now running another distros with fglrx installed, take a look at the sensors output.
$ sensors
radeon-pci-0100
temp1: +54.0°C

coretemp-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
Core 0: +38.0°C (high = +89.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 2: +37.0°C (high = +89.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
wayne128
Level 10
Level 10

Postby subvision on Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:47 am

The sensors command with linux mint 13 gives me these info:

Code: Select all
atk0110-acpi-0
Adapter: ACPI interface
Vcore Voltage:      +1.30 V  (min =  +0.85 V, max =  +1.60 V)
 +3.3 Voltage:      +3.33 V  (min =  +2.97 V, max =  +3.63 V)
 +5 Voltage:        +5.02 V  (min =  +4.50 V, max =  +5.50 V)
 +12 Voltage:      +12.10 V  (min = +10.20 V, max = +13.80 V)
CPU FAN Speed:     3534 RPM  (min =  600 RPM)
CHASSIS FAN Speed: 1192 RPM  (min =  600 RPM)
CPU Temperature:    +31.0°C  (high = +60.0°C, crit = +95.0°C)
MB Temperature:     +25.0°C  (high = +45.0°C, crit = +95.0°C)

k10temp-pci-00c3
temp1:        +17.4°C  (high = +70.0°C)
                       (crit = +99.5°C, hyst = +97.5°C)

Wayne, thanks for your help. But my question has not been answered yet. Will the graphicscards-fan adjust itself when I run 3d-apps? Or do I have to set this manually? Temperature seems to be ok, but what if I have lots of cpu load? The information of my sensors I have made when the system was idle.

The core question: Do I have to adjust the fan speed, before running 3d-apps or will it happen automatically?

Thanks in advance,

subvision
subvision
Level 1
Level 1

Postby wayne128 on Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:30 pm

Can't really answer your question, because I do not bother to check fan speed.
I use simple , layman method on the box..

By the way, your HD5700 series is NOT legacy ( usually 4xxx and below)
my 5450 is still using the most current driver 13.1
I think the current fglrx driver and future beta driver should work for your HD5700 card until AMD tell you it won't support.

Just me only on this desktop, skip if you are not interested....
my desktop had slim casing, the ATI card was mounted in such a way that its fan is blowing directly to the power supply! and that is a poor heat transfer design. poor airflow with casing closed.
Just too bad I did not know that issue because of the warranty sticker covering the casing and it was still under warranty then.

True enough, this desktop had one-year warranty, on around 11.5 month, it started to have trouble booting. Often it did not want to boot up, as it was under warranty for 2 more weeks I asked for service, the serviceman is kind enough to tell me a lot of problems with this casing design ( well, I was happy when the serviceman told me the truth and gave me good tips) and he changed almost everything for me, motherboard, driver cards, power supply, etc except hard disk . and he pointed out to me why it was poor airflow and advised me then to run with open side casing..he has repaired quite a lot of this desktop..

I took that advice, and run that box with side casing open, added one 25w AC fan at the back of the casing, blowing the air to force circulation , when my ambient temp is way too high like 30-32 degC, and when I see the cpu/gpu sensors are too high, I simply turn on AC fan and within 10 minutes all temps are down..
nothing work better than force airflow.. keeping it cool when needed.
it had been like that for 2 more years, now this box is about 3-year old, well pass my expectation and I know it will last a lot longer.
wayne128
Level 10
Level 10

Return to Newbie Questions