Facebook Does not Open

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
paparts

Facebook Does not Open

Post by paparts »

Hi all,

I have this weird problem. Facebook suddenly won't open on any of my browsers. I can ping facebook but seems like something is blocking. I checked my ufw but nothing is in there that blocks facebook. I can open other sites except facebook. So I pinged facebook and tried to open it using the IP and it shows me a certificate error as shown below:

Any thoughts? Btw, I can open hxxps://m.facebook.com but hxxp(s)://facebook.com won't...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Orbmiser

Re: Facebook Does not Open

Post by Orbmiser »

There other places found in a google search to help isolate problems.
http://www.isitdownrightnow.com/facebook.com.html
If the site is UP but you cant access the page, try one of the below solutions:

Browser Related Problems

Force a full refresh for the site. This can be achieved by pressing CTRL + F5 keys at the same time on your favourite browser (Firefox, Chrome, Explorer, etc.)
Try alternative urls such as fb.com
Clear the temporary cache and cookies on your browser to make sure that you have the most recent version of the web page. For instructions choose your browser : firefox chrome internet explorer

Fix DNS Problems

A Domain Name System (DNS) allows a site IP address (192.168.x.x) to be identified with words (*.com) in order to be remembered more easily, like a phonebook for websites. This service is usually provided by your ISP.

Clear your local DNS cache to make sure that you grab the most recent cache that your ISP has. For Windows - (Start > Command Prompt > type "ipconfig /flushdns" and hit enter). For details choose your operating system :
If you can access a website at office or from a 3G network yet it's not working on your computer, it is a good idea to use an alternative DNS service other than your ISPs. OpenDNS or Google Public DNS are both excellent and free public DNS services.
Check our help page for step-by-step instructions on configure dnshow to change your DNS.
paparts

Post by paparts »

I tried most of the steps except installing nscd, but it was working before and I have tried ISP's default DNS and I was also using google's public DNS before this happened
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Well could be a snag or hangup on facebooks servers misbehaving. The easiest way is a closeby friend if they can facebook.
Then it's an isp or user issue.
paparts

Post by paparts »

My friends in the house can opn facebook.com I think I am the only one who can't open it anyway I open facebook using m.facebook.com, its just a weird thing to use it on a larger screen.
TheForumTroll

Post by TheForumTroll »

Are your friends on the same network?
paparts

Post by paparts »

Yes we are on the same network. I believe the problem is my OS, but I just don't know any ninja moves to fix the problem.
TheDynamicHamza21
Level 5
Level 5

Post by TheDynamicHamza21 »

Have you tried using another browser to diagnose it's OS related and not Chrome related?
Linux Registered User: # 573034

Hamza21.com
raymerjacque
Level 4
Level 4

Post by raymerjacque »

disable all addons and extensions and then try again. I had a similar problem with my firefox with a addon called "fastestfox". which speeds up firefox but there were a few sites where i got a very similar message to yours. i disabled my addons one by one until i found the culprit. if its not an extension/addon problem, then i dont know...
TheForumTroll

Post by TheForumTroll »

If you want to test if it is the browser(s), a safe bet for testing would be Lynx :idea:
paparts

Post by paparts »

@raymerjacque : Yes I tried using other browsers. But now, facebook suddenly opens. :shock: Weird :?: :?: :?:
raymerjacque
Level 4
Level 4

Post by raymerjacque »

weird ... but yay that it works again :lol:

Return to “Beginner Questions”