Disabling desktop visual effects

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SilverNexus

Disabling desktop visual effects

Post by SilverNexus »

I was wondering what I would have to do to disable visual effects for the MATE desktop on Linux Mint 14.1. I'm sure there's a way, I just have no idea where it would be.

I don't exactly have a need for the visual effects, since my computer is on the older side and they aren't that noticable anyway (some fade-ins here, a pan-in there, nothing I won't miss).
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MintGuru

Re: Disabling desktop visual effects

Post by MintGuru »

Hi SilverNexus,

I think in Mate it is the compiz manages desktop effects.

In Cinnamon, it's under the Cinnomon settings (highlighted in the screenshot).
CinnamonSettings_Effects.jpeg
I hope this helps.
SilverNexus

Post by SilverNexus »

I think I found where it was. I went into the configuration editor and disabled "enable_animations" for desktop/mate/session.
Your post did set me down the path to coming up a solution, and for that I thank you.
SilverNexus

Post by SilverNexus »

Hmm... I still see visual effects. Clearly I did not find the right thing.
MintGuru

Post by MintGuru »

Try this - it's not mine, but it looks like the right process:

http://looselytyped.blogspot.in/2012/06 ... indow.html

Let me know how it goes.
thegreatgazoo

Post by thegreatgazoo »

If you turn off compositing, this turns off the effects.
In mate, find the " desktop settings" menu item.
In there find the check box for enabling compositing in the interface tab. Un-check the box.
I'm not in front of my computer right now so I'm going from memory. I found this pic in Google showing the settings window.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
SilverNexus

Post by SilverNexus »

Oddly enough, all that stuff is already disabled.

Yet, when I boot up my computer, the desktop background fades in and the menu bar pans in, both unneccessarily in my eyes.

Sorry about taking so long to reply... I hadn't checked the forum in a little while. :oops:

Return to “Beginner Questions”