Cinnamon reset?

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pankajmt

Cinnamon reset?

Post by pankajmt »

I am using Cinnamon on Linux Mint 14 Nadia. I like the standard setup which has the start menu like shown at http://cinnamon.linuxmint.com/. I was trying some nvidia settings yesterday and lost that start menu. Attached is what I have now. How do I go back to the default style?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Cinnamon reset?

Post by karlchen »

Hello, pankajmt.

Your screenshot suggests that you have fallen back to some Gnome fallback mode.
You might try this:
Log off from the GUI. You will be returned to the logon screen. Do not login again. Instead switch to one of the 6 available pseudo console terminals by pressing <ctrl><alt><f1>. This should take you to the console #1. Login.
Perform these steps:

Code: Select all

ls -la .nvidia-settings-rc
mv .nvidia-settings-rc .nvidia-settings-rc.prev
sudo service mdm stop
sudo service mdm start
Next return to the login screen by pressing <alt><f7> or very likely <alt><f8>. (The graphical screen may be on terminal 7 or very often on terminal 8)

HTH,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 750 days now.
Lifeline
pankajmt

Post by pankajmt »

Thanks Karl for the response. I tried your suggested steps but that did not help. Can I look at some logs to see whats going wrong?
FireSoul
Level 3
Level 3

Post by FireSoul »

pankajmt wrote:I am using Cinnamon on Linux Mint 14 Nadia. I like the standard setup which has the start menu like shown at http://cinnamon.linuxmint.com/. I was trying some nvidia settings yesterday and lost that start menu. Attached is what I have now. How do I go back to the default style?
I have original theme ,but try this.
I think this picture is your main,so try go from mint logo on panel/MENU/Settings/Cinnamon settings and Themes.
It's how them are in my settings as MENU = Mint logo
pankajmt

Post by pankajmt »

Sorry, did not help. Basically my issue is same as http://askubuntu.com/questions/244168/c ... style-menu
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, panakjmt.

Too bad my idea did not help.
Could you please post the output of the command

inxi -Gx
This should reveal which graphics card you have got and which graphics driver is in use.
The output will be similar to this one generated on the system where I am writing this post now:

$ inxi -Gx
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA ION VGA bus-ID: 03:00.0 
           X.Org: 1.13.0 drivers: (unloaded: fbdev,vesa,nouveau) FAILED: nvidia Resolution: 1280x1024@60.0hz 
           GLX Renderer: ION/integrated/SSE2 GLX Version: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 304.64 Direct Rendering: Yes
Note:
Though the current inxi version reports "FAILED" the nvidia-current driver is in use here. Can be confirmed e.g. by inspecting /var/log/syslog.
Just to illustrate that I am using Cinnamon and that it looks like you expect yours to look like, here is a screenshot (size reduced, click to enlarge).

Kind regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 750 days now.
Lifeline
pankajmt

Post by pankajmt »

Sorry, had gone in exile. So I tried a few things today but nothing worked. Begin with, I reinstalled linuxmint as I have a separate partition for that. Before that I tried few things including getting the driver "NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-310.32.run" from the nvidia site. Looks like nouveau in the kernel conflicts with nvidia. But nvidia installation tried disabling that too but did not help.

There are articles on the net saying change the BIOS setting from Nvidia optimus to Discrete, but that has not been of help either. My installer or installation does not even recognize the display and just hangs on startup.

If this is of any help in helping me out, these are the details from my Thinkpad W530 ...

lspci tells me

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GK107 [Quadro K2000M] (rev a1)
inxi tells me

Graphics:  Card-1: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0 
           Card-2: NVIDIA GK107 [Quadro K2000M] bus-ID: 01:00.0 
           X.Org: 1.13.0 drivers: (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) FAILED: nouveau,intel Resolution: 1360x768@59.8hz 
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Ivybridge Mobile GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 9.0 Direct Rendering: Yes
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

pankajmt wrote:There are articles on the net saying change the BIOS setting from Nvidia optimus to Discrete, but that has not been of help either.

inxi tells me

Graphics:  Card-1: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0 
           X.Org: 1.13.0 drivers: (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) FAILED: nouveau,intel Resolution: 1360x768@59.8hz 
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Ivybridge Mobile GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 9.0 Direct Rendering: Yes
The FAILED message is an inxi bug. Ignore it. As for your other problem...
http://bumblebee-project.org/
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
pankajmt

Post by pankajmt »

Great. Thanks.

Things look better now.

X.Org: 1.13.0 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1360x768@59.8hz 
But am still unable to project the display onto an extension screen - my tv at the moment. Basically I need to get an extended/mirrored screen working for presentations. Display -> Detect Displays does not seem to work. Launching nvidia-settings results in "You do not appear to be using the NVIDIA X driver. Please edit your X configuration file (just run `nvidia-xconfig` as root), and restart the X server.". But running nvidia-xconfig has caused all the pain. It screws up the screen resolution and also forces cinnamon to gnome fallback mode.

Suggestions?

Return to “Cinnamon”