[SOLVED]Web Page Editor

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
ambrostan

[SOLVED]Web Page Editor

Post by ambrostan »

I am farily new to Linux so bear with me. I have been researching what software is available to use in Linux, to build websites. Kompozer, Quanta Plus, Amaya, Aptana, Bluefish etc. etc. keep coming up in the posts that I find on numerous websites.

I cannot, however, find anything but Bluefish available in the Mint repositories.

I have tried to install BlueGriffon and Amaya but not suceeded.

Any advise or guidance would be appreciated. Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ambrostan

Re: Web Page Editor

Post by ambrostan »

Thought I had better add that I am using the latest version of LMDE.
ambrostan

Post by ambrostan »

Can anyone help? The only other option open to me is to install Wine and use a Windows based editor. Something I don't want to do.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Moved to the LMDE section of the forum, you might get better help in the right section :wink:

- Kompozer has been discontinued;
- Quanta Plus hasn't seen development in many years, I'd call it discontinued as well;
- Amaya should be installable, there are Debian downloads available;
- Aptana requires Sun JDK, not sure if that is a problem;
- BlueGriffon only has downloads for Ubuntu and may not work well with LMDE.

What kind of errors did you get from trying to install Amaya? It is the only one with .deb files, so it should tell you what libraries it is missing if it can't install.

Edit: and if anybody wants to suggest and alternative to Bluefish (the one you did install), what were the shortcomings of that for you?
ambrostan

Post by ambrostan »

Amaya actually installed ok but when I try to use it, I click on the icon and nothing happens.

I have no idea how to install BlueGriffon despite much time spent researching.

Bluefish works fine but I wanted to try something with some wysiwyg elements as well.

Thanks for you help.
dwainehead

Post by dwainehead »

Komodo edit is a download and installs easy, if you get some of the addons pretty much just like the Komodo IDE, aptana works well too, I juse both as well from the mint repos you can get geany.
raymerjacque
Level 4
Level 4

Post by raymerjacque »

You can always try run your windows editors via wine or cross over office ? I have most of my windows programs that i cant find linux alternatives for running with wine or cross over office without much fuss.
ambrostan

Post by ambrostan »

I really want to try and avoid using windows software.

I will give Bluefish another go and try and install Aptana, I know there are issues in relation to Java but I will see what I can work out.

Thanks to all who helped!
eanfrid

Post by eanfrid »

I usually play with Bluefish for simple webpages management too. I would try something else since Kompozer has been discontinued but unfortunately neither Amaya 11.4.4 (crashes on start) nor BlueGriffon 1.6.1 (glibc requirements) can run on Debian Wheezy or LMDE :(
laofzu
Level 2
Level 2

Post by laofzu »

While it may seem scary, in the long run hand-coding web pages gives you more control and freedom to be creative. The tools you need are readily available in LMDE: gedit/pluma, gFTP and Gimp. I have been using them for years with great success. I have created a series of modules that can be used together as needed to produce any type of website. I would be happy to share them with anyone who is interested. You can further customize them to suit your needs. They use HTML5, JavaScript and PHP for forms processing. A sample site can be seen at http://www.taowoods.org.
darethehair
Level 4
Level 4

Post by darethehair »

I use iceape composer for my webpage creation/editing.
There is nothing more dangerous than a bored cat.
seppalta

Post by seppalta »

Gwrite works well, but it is a WSIWYG editor and codifies images. I don't use it seriously. I'm married to araneae - http://lxlinux.com/araneae.html. It's small and infinitely configurable, but requires wine to launch. :)
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

Kompozer discontinued... maybe :lol:

but can still get a deb from sid (work on LMDE need also grab 'kompozer-data') both can be gotten from web (google 'package name' debian. :wink:

J.Jay
eanfrid

Post by eanfrid »

It is your responsibility to use an unmaintained software. Kompozer is in squeeze repos but will be removed when wheezy is out. The last "working" version of Kompozer is now 3 years old (!) and the dev has moved to build BlueGriffon instead.

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=690251
fraxinus_63

Post by fraxinus_63 »

Although no longer in the Ubuntu repositories, Quanta Plus is still the best! It is not a true WYSIWYG app but that's not what I want anyway. It has loads of useful tools - most of all, a really nice split-pane view that lets you preview as you code.

It is true that it is unmaintained - it is getting a bit old now and doesn't recognise some newer DTDs, but I think there is plenty of life in it yet. I chose to go on using it as I think it is the best web development app I have ever come across, for any platform.

I added Quanta and its dependencies to Mint 13 MATE using from the Trinity Desktop Environment repos. I did it like this:

1. Add the Trinity repos and signing key to your repositories using the instructions at http://www.trinitydesktop.org/wiki/bin/ ... stallation.
2. Reload Synaptic - and Quanta-trinity appears! Mark it for installation in the usual manner.
3. Create a launcher pointing to /opt/trinity/bin/quanta.

And away you go. On first launch you may get a warning that the kImagemap plugin won't work. This isn't critical to me so I just clicked past it.
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

It is your responsibility to use an unmaintained software. Kompozer is in squeeze repos but will be removed when wheezy is out. The last "working" version of Kompozer is now 3 years old (!) and the dev has moved to build BlueGriffon instead.

Good to know (used compozer for years) will try bluefish. :)

Thank You
J.Jay
P.S. have seen projects/packages seemed dead unmaintained come back to life after quite some time. :P
eanfrid

Post by eanfrid »

The risks with "dead" software are not only ageing features, compatability troubles with newer software/OS, lack of bug-fixing and chances to be unable to find it anywhere (but maybe among your own backups): security holes may be exploited and fixes are non-existent.
ambrostan

Post by ambrostan »

This worked 100% in relation to installing the Aptana 3 standalone version.

http://www.samclarke.com/2012/04/how-to ... -pangolin/
Last edited by ambrostan on Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Detonate

Re: [SOLVED]Web Page Editor

Post by Detonate »

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Seamonkey in this thread. It is a true wysiwyg editor and runs fine in Mint 14 Mate.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: [SOLVED]Web Page Editor

Post by xenopeek »

Well, the topic is about LMDE and Seamonkey is known as Iceape there. Already suggested :wink:
darethehair wrote:I use iceape composer for my webpage creation/editing.

Return to “LMDE Archive”