small white lines in KDE 14 (fixed not solved)

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
homerscousin

small white lines in KDE 14 (fixed not solved)

Post by homerscousin »

I got a little bored so I installed Mint 14 KDE 64 bit a few hours ago. clean install over 13. So far it is pretty darn close to 13. Didn't realise I would have to reinstall conky and lmsensors. That's ok, done. Same for radiotray, I guess, not done. Hope I don't loose all the stations I accumulated. Memory use is lower, by conky. 13 was about 600 Mb at start and around 900 -1000 after Firefox was open for a while. So far, and right now, with just FF open mem use is 665. Definitely less. Played a video with VLC. Hoped it would be better. Nope. Screen blanked every 10 seconds. Had to reboot. Just a couple first impressions.

Here is the question. I see some small horizontal white lines, about 2 mm, right now in Firefox in the URL entry window, top left corner, and also in the search window to the right of that. 1 line in each. Sometimes, if I click on the K start menu I see 4 columns of about 20 lines. In other programs there is that line in text entry windows. There are more little strangeties, but I thought someone might know. All my system settings seem to be the same as before.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
homerscousin

Re: small white lines in KDE 14

Post by homerscousin »

sysmon03.png
Hopefully, here is a screenshot. Took 3 shots: 1 fullscreen, 2 window only. The last window only had more lines than the first 2. I'm showing that last one. Sometimes these lines will appear temporarily on an open window when I click on the K start menu or some other icon etc. And this is Ivy Bridge HD4000 graphics.
homerscousin

Re: small white lines in KDE 14

Post by homerscousin »

It is now much improved. I did the system update, 337 updates level 1-3. I just installed them all. I changed my mouse theme and desktop color theme- that had no effect. Changed a couple other settings in desktop effects- maybe that helped. I think something in the system update did it. I still see the lines, but I have to really work at it to reproduce them. Basically, I'm happy. Desktop effects like slide, glide and annimations seem smoother than v13. Audio to video sync seems to be much better. I've only been testing this for 24 hours, but I have not seen a video out of sync with audio by 1-2 seconds like in v13.
homerscousin

Re: small white lines in KDE 14 (fixed, not solved)

Post by homerscousin »

Guys, I'm marking this as 'fixed, not solved'. 2 days later and I can not reproduce any of those lines. Must have been something in the hundreds of system update files. If anyone has a guess, I'd love to hear it. They seemed to be related to user input areas of the screen. Also, spoke too soon on the audio/video sync. Still ain't right.

This was a good learning experience. My first dist upgrade. I didn't realise I would have to reinstall so much software like conky, lmsensors,radiotray(all stations still there) bleachbit, etc. But, what took me months to discover, create(conky) install and correct if necessary only took a day or so to get things as they were. I fear not the next upgrade.
braingateway

Re: small white lines in KDE 14 (fixed not solved)

Post by braingateway »

here Mint 13 KDE, on ivy bridge HD2500, the same issue, random white strips appeared very often.

on kernel 3.5.0-27 and 3.2.0-40
$ uname -r
3.5.0-27-generic
$ dpkg -l kde-runtime
+++-==========================-==========================-====================================================================
ii kde-runtime 4:4.8.5-0ubuntu0.1 runtime components from the official KDE release

I never get this issue on older machines with NV or ATI graphic card, the intel ivy bridge seems very annoying.

the picture shows the symptom, some application like the desktop, gimp, etc will always show these white strips, if hover over the menu, it will show narrower strips in the menu item area. Other applications like Kate, firefox, libreoffice, etc will not show these white strps.

Return to “Software & Applications”