Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon doesn't recognize my Pendrive

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Anubisone

Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon doesn't recognize my Pendrive

Post by Anubisone »

I connect my pendrive by USB cable. Pendrive and the cable work, both of them. Unfortunately there is no appearance of the disc icon in Cinnamon on the desktop or anywhere.

Can someone help me with that edition of mint, because in Linux Mint 12 everything was ok?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jungle_boy
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon doesn't recognize my Pendrive

Post by jungle_boy »

Try to connect pendrive without usb cable.
Samsung Odyssey, Octa-core, i5 9300H, Geforce GTX 1650, 16GB RAM, SSD SAMSUNG NVMe 500GB
LM 21 Cinnamon
Anubisone

Post by Anubisone »

I was trying to connect it without it and it works both with and without cable on Mint 12, but I prefer Cinnamon now xD

Could it be its something wrong with KDE or Gnome? I dont know, since I am new to Nadia.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, Anubisone.

If the pendrive is technically ok and has been detected and used by Mint12, Mint 13 will detect it and use it as well. This is at least true for all the pendrives which I used on Mint 12 and which still work fine on Mint 13 "Maya" and Mint 14 "Nadia".

Please, open the Cinnamon settings. Inside the Cinnamon settings window click on the "Desktop" item. Inside the "Cinnamon Settings Desktop" dialogue box make sure that the item [x] Show mounted volumes on desktop has been ticked (activated). Click [Close].

Insert the pendrive. Wait a few seconds. The pendrive icon should appear on the desktop. If it does, fine, problem solved.
In case it still does not do so, use another computer to verify the pendrive is still all right and recognized, then report back.

Kind regards,
Karl
Last edited by karlchen on Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
Anubisone

Post by Anubisone »

karlchen wrote:Hello, Anubisone.

If the pendrive is technically ok and has been detected and used by Mint12, Mint 13 will detect it and use it as well. This is at least true for all the pendrives which I used on Mint 12 and which stil work fine on Mint 13 "Maya" and Mint 14 "Nadia".

Please, open the Cinnamon settings. Inside the Cinnamon settings window click on the "Desktop" item. Inside the "Cinnamon Settings Desktop" dialogue box make sure that the item [x] Show mounted volumes on desktop has been ticked (activated). Click [Close].

Insert the pendrive. Wait a few seconds. The pendrive icon should appear on the desktop. If it does, fine, problem solved.
In case it still does not do so, use another computer to verify the pendrive is still all right and recognized, then report back.

Kind regards,
Karl
The item Show mounted volumes on desktop is activated.

Still not showing. As I remember I had similar problem with extracting archives, but after an update I can extract now when I want.

Kind regards too xD

AnubisOne
jungle_boy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by jungle_boy »

Did you check md5sum of downloaded iso before burn it?
Samsung Odyssey, Octa-core, i5 9300H, Geforce GTX 1650, 16GB RAM, SSD SAMSUNG NVMe 500GB
LM 21 Cinnamon
Anubisone

Post by Anubisone »

jungle_boy wrote:Did you check md5sum of downloaded iso before burn it?
I never did that before. Is it possible to do it after maybe? I'm not so good by console but I will try something if U guide me through xD
jungle_boy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by jungle_boy »

Sometimes a bad block generates problems.

If you downloaded the iso in Downloads directory;

Code: Select all

cd Downloads
md5sum name_of_the_LM_iso
Wait and check it.
LM 21 Cinnamon
Anubisone

Post by Anubisone »

jungle_boy wrote:Sometimes a bad block generates problems.

If you downloaded the iso in Downloads directory;

cd Downloads
md5sum name_of_the_LM_iso
Wait and check it.
Then it's impossible because I burned iso on the 2nd pendrive and its not iso now. I buyed new laptop and started installing stuff from it. oO xD
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, Anubisone.
Then it's impossible because I burned iso on the 2nd pendrive and its not iso now.
Sorry, but I do not understand this sentence.
You can burn data files to a CD. You can burn an ISO image to a CD.
You can burn data files to a DVD. You can burn an ISO image to a DVD.
You cannot, however, burn anything to a pendrive. You can only copy files to a pendrive.
Pendrives use as their filesystems e.g. FAT32, NTFS or EXT2, EXT3 or EXT4. EXT2, EXT3 and EXT4 will only be understood by Linux. FAT32 and NTFS can be read and written by Windows and Linux.
So which filesystem does your pendrive use?
And what exactly did you do when you "burnt iso on the 2nd pendrive"?

Kind regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
Anubisone

Post by Anubisone »

Then it's impossible because I burned iso on the 2nd pendrive and its not iso now.
Sorry, but I do not understand this sentence.
You can burn data files to a CD. You can burn an ISO image to a CD.
You can burn data files to a DVD. You can burn an ISO image to a DVD.
You cannot, however, burn anything to a pendrive. You can only copy files to a pendrive.
Pendrives use as their filesystems e.g. FAT32, NTFS or EXT2, EXT3 or EXT4. EXT2, EXT3 and EXT4 will only be understood by Linux. FAT32 and NTFS can be read and written by Windows and Linux.
So which filesystem does your pendrive use?
And what exactly did you do when you "burnt iso on the 2nd pendrive"?

Kind regards,
Karl
I dont have cd or dvd drive now. I installed Nadia from pendrive after I burned iso on it. Works like charm except there is no Compiz and i think this is the main flaw of this distro. As for other things I like her xD
jungle_boy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by jungle_boy »

Compiz don't works fine with Linux Mint. It is a fact.
LM 21 Cinnamon
Anubisone

Post by Anubisone »

jungle_boy wrote:Compiz don't works fine with Linux Mint. It is a fact.
So I assume nothing can be done to make my Desktop better as it is now? No AltTab or 3D. Hmm. Why was Cinnamon created then when it is so medieval?
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, Anubisone.

In case on your Cinnamon <Alt><Tab> does nothing and in case your Cinnamon does not use 3D effects, you must be running some video fallback mode. This suggests that you are not using the right graphics driver for your graphics card e.g. Cinnamon does not need Compiz.

Kind regards,
Karl
Lifeline
Anubisone

Post by Anubisone »

In case on your Cinnamon <Alt><Tab> does nothing and in case your Cinnamon does not use 3D effects, you must be running some video fallback mode. This suggests that you are not using the right graphics driver for your graphics card e.g. Cinnamon does not need Compiz.

Kind regards,
Karl
Thanks. How to switch to some advanced mode?
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hrllo, Anubisone.

In order to give a valid answer to your question, it will be necessary to learn which graphics card Mint has detected and which driver it is using. So, please, open a terminal window, execute the commandline

inxi -Gx
and post the screen output of the command.

Kind regards,
Karl
Lifeline
Anubisone

Post by Anubisone »

karlchen wrote:Hrllo, Anubisone.

In order to give a valid answer to your question, it will be necessary to learn which graphics card Mint has detected and which driver it is using. So, please, open a terminal window, execute the commandline

inxi -Gx
and post the screen output of the command.

Kind regards,
Karl
The output:

Graphics:  Card: Intel Mobile 945GM/GMS 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0 
           X.Org: 1.13.0 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1024x768@60.0hz 
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel 945GM x86/MMX/SSE2 GLX Version: 1.4 Mesa 9.0 Direct Rendering: Yes

As I see it Direct Rendering it's working fine, or am I mistaken.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, Anubis.

Yes, you are right. The "inxi -Gx" output looks perfectly all right. Just cross-checked it with my notebook here which by accident has got an Intel graphics chip as well.
Don't see any reason why your system should not be able to run Cinnamon in 3D mode.

Cheers,
Karl
Lifeline
Anubisone

Post by Anubisone »

karlchen wrote:Hello, Anubis.

Yes, you are right. The "inxi -Gx" output looks perfectly all right. Just cross-checked it with my notebook here which by accident has got an Intel graphics chip as well.
Don't see any reason why your system should not be able to run Cinnamon in 3D mode.

Cheers,
Karl
Maybe I unchecked something. Can you show me settings of your cinnamon, so I could make it look equal?
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, Anubisone.
Can you show me settings of your cinnamon, so I could make it look equal?
Basically, no problem. Could just be a bit time consuming considering the fact that there are quite a few option dialogues where you can tweak things.
Anyway, let us start with the very first thing which you come across when logging in ...

Inside a terminal window, please, execute the command

sudo mdmsetup
In the dialogue box that will be displayed go to the tab named "General".

(sudo_mdmsetup_general_session)

Select the default session type "Cinnamon". This is the fully featured Cinnamon desktop. Click [Close].

Now you might wish to log off and log on again.
At the bottom of the logon dialogue box there should be 3 icons. The middle icon should allow you to verify which session type you will be using after logging on. You might verify that the selected session type is really "Cinnamon". Next enter your name and password and logon.

Once the Cinnamon desktop has been loaded the Cinnamon menu icon and the opened Cinnamon menu should look more or less like to be seen in the next screenshot. - Of course, it may look different in case you have told Cinnamon to use a different theme. (Note: the quality has suffered bfrom reducing the image filesize.)

(Cinnamon default desktop)

In particular in case the menu icon is not the icon to be seen in the screenshot, a cogwheel with the term "Menu" next to it, but just a Mint M on white background, then very likely the full Cinnamon desktop has not been loaded, for whichever reason.

About the Cinnamon settings:

Launch

cinnamon-settings
from the commandline or go to Menu => Preferences => Cinnamon Settings.

These are just my settings, most of them Cinnamon default settings, modified only very few of them:

(1) Cinnamon Themes ....................... screenshot: Cinnamon theme Nightlife Graphite.png
(2) Cinnamon Themes - other settings .... screenshot: Cinnamon themes other settings.png
(3) Cinnamon Settings - Effects ............ screenshot: Cinnamon settings - effects.png
(4) Cinnamon Settings - Applets ............ screenshot: Cinnamon Settings - Applets.png

Put all screenshots in a single ZIP-archive file "Cinnamon_Basic_Settings.zip" which has been attached to this post.

Kind regards,
Karl
Last edited by karlchen on Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: replaced local screenshot files with links to uploads on imgur.com
Lifeline

Return to “Beginner Questions”