How do I add Crashplan to the menu [SOLVED]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jimbabwean

How do I add Crashplan to the menu [SOLVED]

Post by jimbabwean »

I have Crashplan installed, but it doesn't show up in the menu, since I installed it from Crashplan's website, not from a repository. How do I add the Crashplan launcher, to the menu. I seem to recall there being a folder into which one could put Launchers that caused the menu to display them.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
viking777

Re: How do I add Crashplan to the menu

Post by viking777 »

You are probably thinking of /usr/share/applications which is full of .desktop files which is what the menu will read. If your program has created its own .desktop file (highly unlikely I would think) you could just drop it in this location. The likelihood is that you will have to write your own. They are just simple text files nothing more complicated. The easiest way is to look through your existing ones, find the simplest, copy and rename it to crashplan.desktop then alter the entries to suit crashplan. Name, Icon, Exec, Terminal and Type are about all you really need. My best guesses would be

Name=Crashplan
Icon=(no idea, you will have to look for it, /usr/share/icons is the best place to look)
Exec=crashplan (try the command 'whereis crashplan' that might tell you if it is not as obvious as my guess
Terminal=false
Type=Application
jimbabwean

Re: How do I add Crashplan to the menu

Post by jimbabwean »

Awesome! Using your advice I cloned (as root) the System Monitor launcher in /usr/share/applications, right clicked on the clone to get the properties, renamed and modified them accordingly, gave it the correct icon, and voila, Crashplan is now on the System Tools menu. Thanks!

Return to “Beginner Questions”