Mint without the Linux?

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.

Mint without the Linux?

Post by Guest »

Clem,

I don't remember if this topic was discussed yet or not.

It's about the distro name.

I was thinking that you should drop the Linux part of the name. I think that the Linux part may scare some new users. As windows is not DOS Windows, and the Mac is not Unix Leopard, I think that Mint should do the same.

From the user point of view who cares what is the code base of the OS? They just want a usable and nice experience.

I think that Ubuntu at some point have got a good recognition as a "brand" without the Linux part attached.

I'm sure that this distro si mature enough to be considered just Mint or MintX or whatever, but drop the "scary" part.

It was just a though.

elbeto
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Mint without the Linux?

Post by Husse »

It has been discussed (don't ask me for a link - I have at least some memory left :)) and Linux Mint is the name....
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

There are pros and cons on both sides of the debate. Mint is a lot of thing, Linux Mint uniquely identifies our project. I also disagree with the statement that "Linux" is scary, IMHO it sounds good to people who know about it and raises curiosity to others. As for Windows, ok it's not DOS Windows, but "Microsoft" Windows... so how about that for a scary part?! :)

Clem
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I like "LinuxMint", it just plain has a good sound to it.
JAK
Level 3
Level 3

Post by JAK »

I have to say from the time I start using Mint I've had this little wondering on my mind how a Linux flavor of Irish origin is called Mint and not Clover. :) or Lucky Linux :roll: How about Leprechaun Linux? :mrgreen:
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

Them f**kin' kids, they're always stealing my LinuxMint :mrgreen:
Husse

Post by Husse »

Them f**kin' kids, they're always stealing my LinuxMint
Ah - so that's why you're so heavily armed....

Post by Guest »

Interesting enought, today I saw a couple of blogs talking about the efect of the Ubuntu name in the Linux community and for new users accostued to have or M$ or Apple and that's it.

That was exactly the intention of my original post. To argue that argument.

elbeto
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

The only other alternative from my horizon would be "MintOS", "Mint OS" or "OS Mint"...
I this case my vote would go to "MintOS"!
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
Fred

Post by Fred »

For me Linux denotes "solid," "reliable." Both desirable qualities.

Must just be a difference in perspectives. :-)

Fred
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

I agree that to me Linux does bring an air of solid and reliable, but alot of us know Linux, know what Linux is all about. Someone who has never heard of Linux, or who has heard of Linux from even a few years ago, will think "major technological knowledge needed" or "Everything has to be done in a command line" as these are the the way things were not too long ago, but things have changes, and someone who only knows about Linux from before, will still have those ideas in their head. Now I'm not saying that Clem should change the name of Linux Mint, but I can see how someone could be scared off simply by the word "Linux"
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

Removing Linux from the name wouldn't change that Mint is a part of the Linux family, "hiding" that just doesn't make any sense to me..
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
foggytown
Level 3
Level 3

Post by foggytown »

I can see both sides of this argument.

There is online financial software named Mint and also Mint web stats. If you search google for "mint", LinuxMint is over half way down the first page of results.
So from a purely branding perspective, LinuxMint seems like the way to go.

LinuxMint is a great name, especially if you think about alternative meanings for the word mint--think mint as in mint condition...

just my nickel's worth...
--john
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
--Aldous Huxley
cmost
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cmost »

Guest wrote:Clem,

I don't remember if this topic was discussed yet or not.

It's about the distro name.

I was thinking that you should drop the Linux part of the name. I think that the Linux part may scare some new users. As windows is not DOS Windows, and the Mac is not Unix Leopard, I think that Mint should do the same.

From the user point of view who cares what is the code base of the OS? They just want a usable and nice experience.

I think that Ubuntu at some point have got a good recognition as a "brand" without the Linux part attached.

I'm sure that this distro si mature enough to be considered just Mint or MintX or whatever, but drop the "scary" part.

It was just a though.

elbeto
Not this again!!! No!
SpudGun

Post by SpudGun »

Linux Mint is a great name, if any name needs to change its UBUNTU, WHAT A STUPID NAME THAT IS, thats why i cant use it,
you cant show anyone what you use, cos they just fall about laughing, but Linux Mint is cool. :D
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

Using different names on different editions makes branding kind of difficult. I find the name just fine like it is, and as Mint is starting to make an impact on the community, changing name now will be kind of foolish, since all branding done by now will be a waste of time.
--Dean Martin
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

ed@Mint wrote:That's obvious.
This thread should be closed.
It is just an opinion, no point in closing the thread when there is a discussion going on. But it looks like me like the community like the name like it is, though ;)
--Dean Martin
Husse

Post by Husse »

I don't even know if there's anything to add... :wink:
NO!
But I wont close the thread - just hope you have better things to do than suggest a name change
SpudGun

Post by SpudGun »

Actually ubuntu has a cool name to me, Ubuntu sounds fluid and natural... I like it better then "windows" or "OSeckes"[/quote]
I get fed up with having to explain the name and how to say it, linux mint needs no explanation. :roll:
JAK
Level 3
Level 3

Post by JAK »

miltonjohn wrote:Mint OS sounds good but how 'bout "MentOS"

:)
Technically speaking Linux is the OS, Mint is just a flavor..... literally. :mrgreen:

Return to “Non-technical Questions”