SSD Recommendations please

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
zacharysonicfast

SSD Recommendations please

Post by zacharysonicfast »

I was wondering which SSD HD would be the best one for my needs.

I thought abut this one - it is fast with high IOPS as well.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/4056 ... Controller

This one I really want but it is against the law to sell a kidney on eBay to get the money for it:

http://www.microcenter.com/product/4056 ... Controller

Which SSD would be the best for linux if you know of any specific one's?

I use Linux for internet and downloading a few things but nothing major and no long term storage.

I am using an ASUS K55A laptop, core i5 3rd gen (Best Buy sold it).

Note: if it isn't sold in a store near me I can't get it. No credit card, bank account, and lucky me, debt free for 6+ years.
Microcenter seems best. I prefer not to buy from Best Buy if I can help it.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
zolar1

Re: SSD Recommendations please

Post by zolar1 »

Looks like I might be getting a Samsung EVO SSD, 500GB drive for Christmas :-)

Side question:

When installing Mint 13 or Pclos (latest) or Ubuntu 12.x or similar, will they know it is an SSD and properly align and start everything the right way or do I need to manually partition it?
zolar1

Post by zolar1 »

Another few questions about the SSD.

When setting partitions, do they need to be divisible by 512 or 4K?

Should I make small partitions for boot partition and etc?

As far as file systems go, which is best for ssd use? Ext4? XFS? Which ones for which partitions?

Currently I am using Ext4 for root and XFS for home. Seems OK.

For home I have a mix of file sized. Some as high as 4.3GB. Others around 700Mb to 1.4GB.

And still others rather small like a few txt files.
skywolfblue
Level 3
Level 3

Post by skywolfblue »

According to: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux_310fs_fourway&num=4

It looks like the Ext4 file system is a little bit better all-around-performance wise on an SSD. Is there feature of the XFS file system you particularly like that's not present in others? If not I'd just say format everything Ext4.

I haven't heard anything about SSD partitions needing to be a Power of 2. I believe any partition size will work fine.

As to the hardware of the SSD itself, it seems rather expensive, you can get a similarly sized SSD for around $225. But if performance is what you want, the Vector series is good stuff.
Riko

Post by Riko »

Hi there,

I replaced my spinning HD with a SSD not to long ago. Here are the steps I did after some extensive web research:

[url]http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=191&t=135012#p732078[/url]

Maybe that's helpful!
zolar1

Post by zolar1 »

Wow, a lot to read and consider. Too bad it wasn't in a PDF format.

About XFS. I read it is more suitable for large files (movies and iso's in particular). Nearly all movies are temporary on my host drive anyway. I transfer them to external disk drive for storage.

ISO's I keep for a while though. I like to play with VM's just to see the differences.

And yes, I want as much performance as I can get out of this slowish computer. SATA II and a USB that runs at or below USB 2.0 speeds are a big annoyance.

Two reasons for the EVO drive:
1) Faster writes. Reads will be about the same as the SSD I have now. Current write iops listed at 14,000 but EVO has them nearly 90,000.
2) Much more storage compared to a 64GB ssd I am using now.

The included software to make the EVO run optimally is made for winjunk. Sigh. Seems they could include that as a hardware instruction set. I wonder though. That software caches files in ram for maximum throughput. Does Linux do this on it's own?

The EVO is supposed to have it's own encryption. Would there be any benefit for Linux to encrypt the file system on top of that?
zolar1

Post by zolar1 »

I was wondering what happens if you apply ssd optimizations to a regular hard drive?
I have a tower computer also that is getting 2 ssd's and has 2 traditional hard drives as well.

That one will dual boot XP and linux. Xp and /home on one drive and /root & other XP items (games and some programs) on the other.
Purpose was to draw off each drive for regular wear and extra speed.

Traditional drives for long term data storage and will be formatted in ntfs by XP.

Tower computer only has SATA 1.

I did a file copy test already. Max transfer speed was 33 MB/s for single drive to drive. But will drop to 28 MB/s on some files as the drive begins to get full.

On one traditional drive I plan on using part of it for xp temp files and swap file. Other traditional drive a portion for linux swap although generally not needed - I have 4gb RAM, board max, dual channel, Athlon 64 X2 4200 dual core (one physical, one hyperthreaded)

So, what ssd recommendations would anyone suggest?

Also, this computer (laptop) I want to dual boot with Win7 but it has uefi that can be disabled. That will be a big challenge!

Edit: forgot to add this: On that test I did on the tower computer the IOPS for that Samsung 830 returned IOPS of around 14,000 max. I used Samsung Magician software. I am unsure what the C300 64gb one rates at. It is still in use on this laptop till Christmas.

The only reason I am dual booting on the tower is for my kid to play games in Windows and for me to have faster data transfer of large files with linux.

Too bad linux can't fix NTFS problems :-(

Return to “Open Chat”