Unkown, Google? Firefox? System? infestation?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
440roadrunner

Unkown, Google? Firefox? System? infestation?

Post by 440roadrunner »

I realize this is probably not a Linux problem, but I don't even know where to start-----------

Symptoms: See the screenshots, below of a Google Image search. Google now brings up an irritating black panel when you select a photo, and this adds another layer of nonsense in a search scheme.

Linux Mint Maya, Firefox 16.0.1
This problem/ change cropped up some weeks ago, and cleaning the cookies, cash, etc, got rid of it until 2/3 days ago

I've tried to search the www, to change/ remove this behavior got nowwhere. I just went down to a Whenhozed system on a friend's problem, and his "seems normal" so it SEEMS to me that Google hasn't changed, as his image search works the old way, IE I can click a thumbnail, and because I have it set up to "open a new tab" the results are then off the page.

Screenshot of the "new" whatever this is, I can not figure out if this is coming from Firefox, Google, or some malware I've picked up I dearly hope it is not "how Google is going to work" as it's a PITA. Trying to scroll to the bottom and selecting "basic version" before Google's infinate scrolling catches up is no solution either.

First shot is the start of a search, selected thumbnail last on at right

Clicking the thumbnail results in this expanded panel. This in itself would not be so bad, except that there seems to be no way to open it simply, and then easily getting back to the search without going back.

Any help, even direction to head is appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Unkown, Google? Firefox? System? infestation?

Post by kyphi »

The current Firefox version in Maya is version 18.0.1.

The ugly (I agree with you that it is ugly) black bar is easily removed via a Greasemonkey script.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... asemonkey/

I tried the "image" facility in Google and it works fine here. I am unable to duplicate any fault.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
thegreatgazoo

Post by thegreatgazoo »

Lifehacker has a way to get it back to the old search

http://lifehacker.com/5594912/get-back- ... a-url-hack
440roadrunner

Post by 440roadrunner »

Thanks very much for the replies. It may take some time to learn "Greasemonkey"

Would posting some sample Google URLs help any?

I'm inclined to think this is some sort of infection, as I have not changed anything on my own.
TheDynamicHamza21
Level 5
Level 5

Post by TheDynamicHamza21 »

440roadrunner wrote:Thanks very much for the replies. It may take some time to learn "Greasemonkey"

Would posting some sample Google URLs help any?

I'm inclined to think this is some sort of infection, as I have not changed anything on my own.

This is not an infection it part of Google's change to image search. I have this on browsers as well. Soon all users will forced into the new ui.
Linux Registered User: # 573034

Hamza21.com

Return to “Beginner Questions”