nvidia GT630M install on linux mint 14

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kz205

nvidia GT630M install on linux mint 14

Post by kz205 »

I have problems installing this nvidia gt630m driver on my new laptop running mint 14.

I first tried installing nvidia-current and nvidia-settings from software manager but that simply reduced my resolution to 640x480 max. I had to do a clean install after that as I had no other idea.

Then I came across bumblebee project for optimus graphics cards and followed instructions on
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bumblebee#Installation
to install. The install seemed to go smoothly.

But after that lspci -v | less says
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GF108 [GeForce GT 630M] (rev ff) (prog-if ff)
!!! Unknown header type 7f

so it seems to me that something has gone wrong with the bumblebee installation. Any suggestions to solve this issue?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
zerozero

Re: nvidia GT630M install on linux mint 14

Post by zerozero »

the gt630m is indeed an optimus enabled nvidia card and so far bumblebee is the only option for those cards; it's possible that the installation went wrong, can you give us the output of

Code: Select all

inxi -Gx
kz205

Post by kz205 »

Here is the output of inxi -Gx

Graphics: Card-1: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0
Card-2: NVIDIA GF108 [GeForce GT 630M] bus-ID: 01:00.0
X.Org: 1.13.0 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1366x768@60.1hz
GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Ivybridge Mobile GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 9.0 Direct Rendering: Yes
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

bumblebee was installed successfully: you have cards recognized and are using intel; when and if you need the nvidia card you use

Code: Select all

optirun <appname>
(i believe that all this is in the bumblebee wiki)
kz205

Post by kz205 »

ok that is a strange way to use a graphics card but I'm glad the driver is installed correctly. thank you!

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”