Acronis 2013 for Backup?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
crconti

Acronis 2013 for Backup?

Post by crconti »

Anyone using Acronis 2013 to backup their Linux Mint partitions?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
viking777

Re: Acronis 2013 for Backup?

Post by viking777 »

The last time I used Acronis on LInux was with True Image 11 - so quite a long time ago. At that time it was virtually useless on Linux (though superb on Windows I must admit). I am sure it must have improved since then, but unless you fork out hundreds of pounds/dollars for their server version they do not officially support Linux.

Qt4-fsarchiver does the same job for nothing and is designed purely for use on Linux. That is what I use now.

http://qt4-fsarchiver.sourceforge.net/
itsme4401

Post by itsme4401 »

Agree wholeheartedly with viking 777. And yes, I used True Image 2011 too. However, I'm addicted to Clonezilla http://www.events.clonezilla.org/
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Redo Backup here.
http://redobackup.org/

Same under the hood as Clonezilla but a lot easier to use. And not as many options as Clonezilla tho.

But can backup all my windows and Linux partitions or just my linux partitions.
Makes distro hopping a lot easier as can get it setup then backup just linux partitions.
Can swap to any saved distro about 8 so far on the fly in about 20 mins.
viking777

Post by viking777 »

I hadn't heard of that Orbmiser, it looks interesting. My only comment would be that it is not installable. They quote this as a 'feature' - not to me it isn't, to me I consider that quite a serious drawback, but apart from that it appears to be a capable program. I notice it also images Windows partitions. Qt4-fsarchiver does as well but they consider that function 'experimental' so maybe redobackup is more advanced in that respect.

From a purely personal perpective I don't have any Windows partitions so the ability to image them is not that much of a bonus whereas the inability to install it is a big drawback (I can continue to work whilst my images are taking place. It slows things down a bit of course but still usable. Mind you, you have to have at least two Linux distros installed to make use of that function so it is not for everybody).

Good find though, looks much easier than clonezilla.
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Yeah I recommend Redo Backup as for the majority it fills the bill and doesn't overwhelm the new to linux users.
Clonezilla is powerful with alot of features that most don't need and documentation is a bit confusing and hard to grasp for those not familiar with partitions,HD geometry and all the other techinical over the heads of most. And easier for them to bork or mess up doing it.

And prefer easy over trying to remember flags and cryptic arcane commands that I would forget in a day. So for me Gui is the only way I can function. And can cut and paste commands in a term. But don't ask me to remember them 10 mins later. So Term backup commands are equally too hard for me to remember.
crconti

Post by crconti »

Just wanted to let you know that I had driver problems and was able to restore a disk backup made using Acronis 2013 in Windows 7. Acronis 2013 for Windows 7 allows you to make disk backups of Linux partitions. The only caveat is since I have a PC with UEFI, I had to use Boot Repair to get it to boot like normal. I haven't found an easier way to backup Linux yet.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

crconti wrote:I ... was able to restore a disk backup made using Acronis 2013
Good grief. There's a first time for everything.

I backed up with that crapware for years and one day I needed it...

To cut a short story long, I ditched it and went with Paragon.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

"I haven't found an easier way to backup Linux yet."
Why all the extra work and hoops to jump thru? is Acronis 2013 in Windows 7 free?

No OS required and boot from CD or usb with Redo Backup.

I can choose which partitions Win 7 or Winxp or both or all including Linux partitions or just the linux partitions.
and restore just as easy. It like 4 or 5 clicks point to target or source and done easy peasy.
Dyfi

Post by Dyfi »

I have added Partedmagic to grub, which then runs in RAM, (PM will boot from its .iso using package grub-imageboot) - I can then choose either Clonezilla or Qt4-fsarchiver. No CD, USB or permanent install.
viking777

Post by viking777 »

Orbmiser wrote:
"I haven't found an easier way to backup Linux yet."
Why all the extra work and hoops to jump thru? is Acronis 2013 in Windows 7 free?

No OS required and boot from CD or usb with Redo Backup.

I can choose which partitions Win 7 or Winxp or both or all including Linux partitions or just the linux partitions.
and restore just as easy. It like 4 or 5 clicks point to target or source and done easy peasy.
Orbmiser, I know you know what you are doing, but have you ever tried restoring any partitions with redobackup? I can only assume that you haven't because it isn't possible.

Here is one example post from their forum, but there are dozens of people shouting about it (and a lot of them have lost data like whole partitions because of this software): http://sourceforge.net/p/redobackup/dis ... /b1649251/

The point is that if you choose to restore only your Win7 partition, your XP partition will be erased and vice versa.

I tried this software myself and it is dangerous. If you only want a whole disk backup it is fine, but if you choose individual partitions it will trash your drive because when it restores one partition it deletes all the others. Seriously, it does, have a read through that forum and you will see what I mean. Or if you don't believe them and me just try restoring a single partition and see what options it gives you. It only has one and that is to restore to a disk not a partition.

If you want a 'whole disk' backup and restore this software is fine, for individual partitions you need Clonezilla or Qt4-fsarchiver (and the latter is much easier).

And in answer to the OP Acronis doesn't work either, it used to, quite will in fact, but it stopped working properly some years ago. The only sensible choices are the two I have given above. Of those Clonezilla is the only one that will image everything, because Qt4-fsarchiver cannot image Fat partitions (although it can do ntfs).
Dyfi

Post by Dyfi »

Backups are so important, many users only realise this when it is too late. I do file backups hourly, and weekly images.
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

"I tried this software myself and it is dangerous. If you only want a whole disk backup it is fine, but if you choose individual partitions it will trash your drive because when it restores one partition it deletes all the others."
Strange as have just one 160gb hd. And restore just the linux partitions a few times a month. And have had different distro's about 8 installed and restored from those 3 partitions that are part of the same hardrive.

Winxp .. Win7 ................................/root .../home....Swap.
partitions.png
Don't know if my setup is unique? And have had no issues with restoring just 1 or 2 partitions of the 5 on the hardrive.
Just trying to learn here and not particularly interested in defending redo backup. So any clarifications is appreciated.
And the link provided states a question on "can you restore single files/folders?" or incremental. And nothing on issue of Whole disk as can restore partitions just not individual files or folders.
viking777

Post by viking777 »

Orbmiser wrote:
"I tried this software myself and it is dangerous. If you only want a whole disk backup it is fine, but if you choose individual partitions it will trash your drive because when it restores one partition it deletes all the others."
Strange as have just one 160gb hd. And restore just the linux partitions a few times a month. And have had different distro's about 8 installed and restored from those 3 partitions that are part of the same hardrive.

Winxp .. Win7 ................................/root .../home....Swap.
partitions.png
Don't know if my setup is unique? And have had no issues with restoring just 1 or 2 partitions of the 5 on the hardrive.
Just trying to learn here and not particularly interested in defending redo backup. So any clarifications is appreciated.
And the link provided states a question on "can you restore single files/folders?" or incremental. And nothing on issue of Whole disk as can restore partitions just not individual files or folders.
I can't do it, the people in the forum can't do it, and the software writers say it can't be done, so if you can do it you are very lucky/unique. The link I gave may not have had a relevant title, but the answers inside it state clearly that it cannot be done, so do many other posts. Just have a look through the forum it is littered with people having the same problem and like I said many of them have lost whole partitions because of this. I can't explain your position at all, it is a mystery to me, but I believe what I see with my own eyes and what I read:
http://sourceforge.net/p/redobackup/dis ... 2713/#f82c
http://sourceforge.net/p/redobackup/dis ... e16f3#cf58
http://sourceforge.net/p/redobackup/dis ... ea05f#f5f9
http://sourceforge.net/p/redobackup/dis ... #fca0/ec7f
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Hmmm strange indeed. The only things I can thing of 1) I install grub on where root is and not on primary where mbr stays intact and use EasyBCD to add linux entry to mbr. 2) The Linux partitions are not primary but extended partitions.

But have bounce back and forth between my Mint 14 & KDE twice and once to Ubuntu 12.10 in last 30 days which is just 2 partitions of the 5 and didn't even backup swap. And Win7 & Winxp both untouched and boot to fine.

Only other thing is it's an older IDE drive and not Sata or SSD.
Will do some more reading and thanks for the links to read some more on the issue.
viking777

Post by viking777 »

No problem. One thing I did read that might be relevant, someone suggested that in version 1.02 of the program this did not happen but in 1.03 it does. As I only tested it a couple of weeks ago, I would certainly have tested the 1.03 version - perhaps you are still on 1.02. If that is what it is - I would stay on it if I were you.

Return to “Software & Applications”