[SOLVED] remove and completely remove

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
monere
Level 4
Level 4

[SOLVED] remove and completely remove

Post by monere »

hi,

I want to get rid of banshee and replace it with another mp3 player but when I go to synaptic to remove banshee from there (right mouse clicking doesn't pull any menus btw, when I right click on items in the Applcations menu, it opens them instead) I have 2 options: remove, and completely remove.

which one should I choose and what's the difference between the 2??
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: remove and completely remove

Post by xenopeek »

Remove, deletes the program from your computer but leaves system-wide configuration files in place. So should you install it again, those will be there still with any adjustments you amde. Completely remove, deletes the program from your computer and also deletes these system-wide configuration files. So should you install it again, you will get a completely fresh set of system-wide configuration files.

Note that neither of these delete user preferences for Banshee from your home folder. I believe those are stored in the .config/banshee-1 folder (to display hidden folders like this, press Ctrl+H in your file manager).
monere
Level 4
Level 4

Post by monere »

xenopeek wrote:Remove, deletes the program from your computer but leaves system-wide configuration files in place. So should you install it again, those will be there still with any adjustments you amde. Completely remove, deletes the program from your computer and also deletes these system-wide configuration files. So should you install it again, you will get a completely fresh set of system-wide configuration files.

Note that neither of these delete user preferences for Banshee from your home folder. I believe those are stored in the .config/banshee-1 folder (to display hidden folders like this, press Ctrl+H in your file manager).
That's good to know.

Question: do playlists get memorized and re-added to banshee if I only remove the program and then install it again?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Playlist is a user preference, so doesn't matter how you remove. User preferences are never touched by a package manager.

Return to “Beginner Questions”