Linux/Windows dual boot problem

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
justin f

Linux/Windows dual boot problem

Post by justin f »

Hey, all. I recently installed Linux Mint 13 on my computer alongside Windows 7. However, it seems that GRUB has overwritten the Windows boot loader, so I can no longer boot Windows. How can I reinstall the windows boot loader, and will I be able to use it to boot Linux? Or Do I basically have to choose one OS to use?

Something extra: I do not have any Windows installation media. The computer's owner had the OS installed by a friend who never gave her the disk. Will I have to search for the boot loader, or do I have to get an install disk? Or am I just SOL here?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
viking777

Re: Linux/Windows dual boot problem

Post by viking777 »

Just install boot-repair and follow the steps here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair

If you decide you want to use only Windows without linux try this:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=108274
justin f

Post by justin f »

Is there any way for me to do this dual boot without having to buy something? Because in order to use that boot repair, I have to either buy a CD for Ubuntu or buy a CD for boot repair disk.
viking777

Post by viking777 »

You didn't read the tutorial, or my reply.

You don't have to buy anything, you download and install boot-repair onto Mint 13 and run it from there.
connect internet

- open a new Terminal, then type:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:yannubuntu/boot-repair && sudo apt-get update

- Press Enter.

- Then type:

sudo apt-get install -y boot-repair && boot-repair

- Press Enter

Return to “Installation & Boot”